A new Pentaxian enters the fold

Mongoose

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 11:37
Dad and I took my younger Sister to meet our favourite camera salesman this weekend. As usual, great service from Chris, we had a long chat and had a good look at just about everything going. Nik liked the Pentax K-x best, presumably partly because she can borrow bits and pieces from her Dad and Bro, but all around for me it was the best camera there. Only the Nikon D3000 came anywhere close but the VR lens felt bulky and to me the viewfinder seemed inferior.

I was surprised at the number which had no MF/AF switch, and also at just how bad the EVF is on the Panasonic Lumix EVIL camera. TBH They shouldn't have bothered, the EVF is a waste of space. I still don't think EVILs are a bad idea per se, but the EVFs need a LOT more work.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

fatspider

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 12:47
Hey you could go on Family Fortunes and be announced as the Pentax Family

I've not had the chance to handle a Kx yet
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 13:04
Congratulations to your little sister .

Interesting to read your views on the other cameras as this helps with my quest for a camera for the daughter-in-law.

chris_jl

Link Posted 19/07/2010 - 22:45
Mongoose wrote:
and also at just how bad the EVF is on the Panasonic Lumix EVIL camera. TBH They shouldn't have bothered, the EVF is a waste of space. I still don't think EVILs are a bad idea per se, but the EVFs need a LOT more work.

Just a late reply - I have the gamut in viewfinders. The pinnacle of viewfinders - the Bronica ETRSi AEII - so clear and sharp it shames my K20 + KatzEye, making it feel pokey, dim and decidedly weak. Even though the K20 viewfinder is decent it's still nowhere near my Oly OM-20 of 25 years ago. Then there is the GF-1. Last is the EVF on my Ricoh GX100.
The gap between the Bronica and the K20 is much greater than the gap between the K20D and the GF-1, and the step from GX100 to GF1 is exceptional - this indicates that EVFs are close and closing.
I wouldn't be without the EVF on my GF-1 for all the tea in China - it makes it truly usable and has helped me get shots I would have missed with my K20s.

I think we have to get used to their (EVF) inevitable march and they have their niche - with the EVIL I can take an excellent quality DSLResque camera with all 4 of its lenses (7mm to 200mm plus a macro) anywhere in the world in a bag no larger than my washbag.

That said - you'll pull my K20 from my cold dead hands .

C

Mongoose

Link Posted 20/07/2010 - 08:36
That Bronica must really be something! I can relate to the K20 vs OM-20 comparison, occasionally I look through my ME-F and almost fall in.

Annoyingly I can't remember the model of the Panasonic I looked through, but if I owned that camera I can't imagine using the EVF except under light conditions which made the rear screen unusable. Manual focus would certainly be out of the question.

Now to be fair to EVFs in general, we also looked through an Olympus PEN, and that was worlds apart. Still not a patch on a proper optical finder, but smooth and responsive where the Panasonic was jerky, delayed and pixelated. That I would have considered buying.

I expect and hope that within a couple of years EVFs will be close to equalling a Pentamirror finder, and once they get to that level I doubt we'll see another entry level camera with an optical finder again. I just pray that they get to ACTUALLY as good as an optical finder and not just "yeah, we can sell this".

PS I wouldn't DREAM of pulling your K20 from your cold, dead hands. That would be grounds for some serious haunting!

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 20/07/2010 - 08:54

Mongoose

Link Posted 20/07/2010 - 12:34
Having looked up the current panasonic model range, I think the one I saw was a G10, which explains our differing views on the viewfinder. It seems they downgraded the G1s viewfinder for the G10 to save money, I do hope that's not going to become a common trait of entry level cameras!

but it does help

chris_jl

Link Posted 20/07/2010 - 13:26
Mongoose wrote:
Having looked up the current panasonic model range, I think the one I saw was a G10, which explains our differing views on the viewfinder. It seems they downgraded the G1s viewfinder for the G10 to save money, I do hope that's not going to become a common trait of entry level cameras!

I do share your worry though. Technical goods become more advanced and less functional as time goes on. It is, as you note, a regression to 'good enough' that is taking place. The finder of 80s beats the finder of 90s beats the finder of 00's which beats the EVF. Thankfully the EVF and penta are used by the same market (I think MF and 35mm were 2 separate markets so most people never had the opportunity to say 'hey why isn't my 35mm finder like that') so hopefully the crossover will wait until they are at least equal.

Fingers crossed still...

C
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.