A lot of macro shots

viper_biker

Link Posted 17/06/2008 - 23:57
I am still relatively new to both DSLR and this site, but I can't help but notice that a lot of 'Your Photo's' are macro shots, or 'still' life. Is that the nature of a Pentax, is it reflective of the type of Pentax owners? I'm not looking to create any bad vibes or pee in anyones pond, it's just an observation. Certainly a lot of the shots (actually, most of them if I'm honest) are better than anything I can take so kudos to you all, I was just maybe hoping to find a few more action/panning shots and maybe ask a few more questions.
K100D Super, Kit 18-55mmF3.5-5.6 AL, Tamron70-300mm F/4-5.6Di, 2005 GSX-R750, 1991 VFR400 NC30 road bike, 1989 VFR400 NC30 track bike

hefty1

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 00:33
Pentax cameras aren't generally famed for the speed of their operation (although they're not exactly slouches they do lag behind some of the Canons and Nikons - even Sonys and Olympus's - of this world when it comes to things like focussing speed and frame rate), however, they do tend to trump most of the opposition when it comes down to ultimate image quality.

This doesn't mean there aren't people out there taking sports and action shots with Pentax kit (there are and they seem to be doing very well from what I've seen) but Pentax land does mainly seem to pull in folks who are more at home with landscapes, macros, still-lifes, studio work, etc and who are more concerned with getting the highest quality results.

There are plenty of forums and resources on the 'net that are non-brand specific and which deal with different fields of photography. Perhaps you'd find one of them more useful as general techniques don't really vary between the manufacturers and your kit is just as capable as anybody elses (as the photos you yourself have posted previously amply demonstrate ).

You'll always be welcome back here if you have technical queries regarding your equipment, but I think you'll have a long wait before you see a rash of action shots around these parts...
Joining the Q

hefty1

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 00:35
Having said that, it doesn't mean you can't be the one to start the trend...
Joining the Q

MX veteran

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 00:37
It's Clarkys fault! He keeps putting up super macro shots and lots of us have caught the bug ( get it).
He is currently working on a project to do a macro shot of a kangeroo in sleeping bag.
K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 70mm macro and lots of old lenses

iceblinker

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 01:19
viper_biker wrote:
I am still relatively new to both DSLR and this site, but I can't help but notice that a lot of 'Your Photo's' are macro shots, or 'still' life. Is that the nature of a Pentax, is it reflective of the type of Pentax owners?

We don't get out much!

Seriously, I don't suppose very people visit things like motoracing events often enough to post pictures on the subject very frequently. But if you look through the archives then you might find SOME.

I doubt it's anything specific to Pentax. Other popular subjects on this and most forums and galleries are landscape, urbanscape and portraits.
~Pete

Clarky

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 02:41
MX veteran wrote:
It's Clarkys fault! He keeps putting up super macro shots and lots of us have caught the bug ( get it).
He is currently working on a project to do a macro shot of a kangeroo in sleeping bag.

Now that would make a great action shot

Seriously though i didn't notice a trend until Viper-biker mentioned it.
I did post a pic once of my cat catching a mouse

Panning shot

Action shot

Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Don

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 03:34
I keep most of my customer's images, and most of my artwork off the web.
the macro stuff, is really just cuz' I got a new lens to play with, and like to get feed back, while I get more practice with it.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Nimitz

Link Posted 18/06/2008 - 08:12
There is no trend.....just a few regular posters who tend to do the same shots

My work is pretty much - everything. It is a mix of macro, portrait, landscape and streetart (and more ).
www.mieritz.net

yelvertoft

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 09:02
viper_biker wrote:
I was just maybe hoping to find a few more action/panning shots and maybe ask a few more questions.

Donnington Park 1990 British GP
Pentax SF7 (not the ideal sports camera by any stretch of the imagination), budget 75-300 Sigma, taken from the stands. Scanned from small 6x4 prints and lost a lot in the process.

In my experience, good panning technique is far more important than equipment for motorsport photos. Practice, practice and more practice..... Thankfully this is a lot cheaper with digital.

kerrowdown

Link Posted 19/06/2008 - 09:36
I've covered many sports events over the years, both indoor & outdoor events of various types and have come to the conclusion early on that "brand" is not the important thing, and especially the brands around you that other folk use.

Believe me I have jostled with all manner of elbows and equipment and still managed to raise the odd eyebrow of the competition.

Capture the “great image” is what it's about; my Pentax kit has always delivered without drama, even in some of the most adverse conditions.
Kerrowdown... Aka Romantic Highlander.

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand... William Blake.

"Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A*300mm F4.0, "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.