A Kingfisher and a Hobby!
Posted 23/05/2011 - 10:01
Link
great shots Danny i got my first Kingfisher shot this year and whilst it is ok it's not as good as your...and i have never seen a hobby in the flesh...lucky you.
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 23/05/2011 - 11:04
Link
It's a work in progress and these were taken from a hide on a steep bank in a reserve, so not much chance of getting closer without permission! Knowing where it's nest is now helps a lot!
Have a very cheap (read poor) 2x converter that came with the lens so now I know where it is, will give that a try another day. Still on the lookout for better locations though!
Have a very cheap (read poor) 2x converter that came with the lens so now I know where it is, will give that a try another day. Still on the lookout for better locations though!
Posted 23/05/2011 - 13:58
Link
royd63uk wrote:
great shots Danny i got my first Kingfisher shot this year and whilst it is ok it's not as good as your
Go on then, post it up.great shots Danny i got my first Kingfisher shot this year and whilst it is ok it's not as good as your
This I have got to see ...
There's a chap on the TP forum shooting Kingfishers with a 200mm and getting them full in the frame ... git (never seen one myself).
Posted 23/05/2011 - 15:11
Link
regards
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Roy
Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/
my pbase gallery
Posted 24/05/2011 - 11:51
Link
Kingfishers are such nervous birds it is SO tough to get close to them. The ones I've encountered here rarely let you get within 30 yds. Did the Damsel get away ?
The best I've managed so far is here link with the Tamron BB 500 mirror (before I got the *300), however it seems at least I get more opportunities than you do over there.
The best I've managed so far is here link with the Tamron BB 500 mirror (before I got the *300), however it seems at least I get more opportunities than you do over there.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 24/05/2011 - 12:32
Link
I am convinced that most kingfishers have a sixth sense for cameras and hide form them
Unlocker, you are many steps ahead of me when it comes to obtaining a kingfisher shot
If you want to lend the 250 - 600 to me for a few years I may just manage to find the patience, preparation and the luck that you need to get a picture of one of these -
Unlocker, you are many steps ahead of me when it comes to obtaining a kingfisher shot
If you want to lend the 250 - 600 to me for a few years I may just manage to find the patience, preparation and the luck that you need to get a picture of one of these -
Posted 24/05/2011 - 12:32
Link
DOIK wrote:
John
Frogfish wrote:
Kingfishers are such nervous birds it is SO tough to get close to them.
Not here in the NE. Exif shows 47mm LINK Kingfishers are such nervous birds it is SO tough to get close to them.
John
Is this the guy that has a hide up in his garden and a blog diary going ? Kingfishers are protected birds in the UK and I know there are lots of things that you can not do in breeding season with regard to getting too close and photographing them.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 24/05/2011 - 14:48
Link
Now that I actually have a shot of one and ticked that box, the next project is to try and get something a bit closer, which I know is easier said than done!
Have found a decent and cheap camo tent that I can use as a hide and if I can verify a definate location will try the 'get setup before dawn and sit there all day' approach. Knowing what the call sounds like now will hopefully make that a bit easier as well. Maybe rig up a remote camera?
@ Frogfish
Only noticed the Damsel when I got home! Wasn't a target though!
@ Stuey
Sorry, but the big gun stays with me! Should we ever meet up though, of course I'll let you have a go for 5 minutes!
PS. Should anyone find a hide close enough to get decent shots, or finds a good definate location fairly local, please PM me, will appreciate it!
Have found a decent and cheap camo tent that I can use as a hide and if I can verify a definate location will try the 'get setup before dawn and sit there all day' approach. Knowing what the call sounds like now will hopefully make that a bit easier as well. Maybe rig up a remote camera?
@ Frogfish
Only noticed the Damsel when I got home! Wasn't a target though!
@ Stuey
Sorry, but the big gun stays with me! Should we ever meet up though, of course I'll let you have a go for 5 minutes!
PS. Should anyone find a hide close enough to get decent shots, or finds a good definate location fairly local, please PM me, will appreciate it!
Posted 24/05/2011 - 15:02
Link
You need to find how close to the nest you are allowed to go without a license. I think it's either 50m or 100m.
You don't need to go close anyway. Shots are better from where they dive for fish, perch etc.
You don't need to go close anyway. Shots are better from where they dive for fish, perch etc.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




3062 posts
18 years
Aylesbury,
Bucks.
Unfortunately, too far away for a decent shot, but my first and therefore best of each!
Have included a master and edit of each to give an idea of how cropped they are. Sometimes 600m on a crop sensor just isn't enough!
1.
2.
3.
4.
PS sorry about the watermark, it seems to get bigger the smaller the crop is!
Website・Blog・Gear・Twitter・Facebook