a/c adaptor

katiem111

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 22:01
I know this might sound a bit daft, but it says in the k-x manual to only use the adaptor specific to the camera, but i have 3 already at home, can i use one of these? Dont want to do any damage to my precious. Thanks in advance
S**t happens, but usually before I can get my camera out

Oggy

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 23:14
Assuming they are the correct voltage and polarity then there shouldn't be a problem other than the fact that the plug on the camera where the external power supply connects is often unique.

prsjnb

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 23:21
If the K-X is like the K20D, then the problem you will face is obtaining a suitable plug. Those supplied with with third-party adapters are not compatible, even those described as 'universal' which come supplied with a variety of interchanegeable tips. I did investigate this and eventually was able to track one down that was manufactured by Hirose and described as a '3-position, low profile connector plug (part no. MQ172-3SA-CV50). If this is the same as used on the KX then you can obtain one here: link, although I never did get round to buying one.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Peekie

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 23:31
Oggy wrote:
Assuming they are the correct voltage and polarity then there shouldn't be a problem other than the fact that the plug on the camera where the external power supply connects is often unique.

If there's a socket on the k-x I haven't found it yet! The official Pentax adaptor simulates a battery and goes into the battery compartment. That said, I'd also be interested in any way of avoiding buying an expensive bit of kit whan I have such things lying around at home

Alan

katiem111

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 23:36
thanks all, was just wondering, dont think i really need it yet anyway, too many other bits and pieces to buy yet

Don

Link Posted 28/01/2011 - 23:45
it is really easy to build battery replacements....
you take the right diameter wooden dowels and cut them slightly shorter than aa bateries, then screw in screws to the ends of the dowels and solder wire leads to them. insert instead of batteries and connect the leads to your ac power supply.
I do it all the time, hardly ever blow anything up...

ps glue sticks work if you cannot find dowels...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 28/01/2011 - 23:48

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 08:29
I have one of the connectors for the K10 and will be using it with both that and the K5. Now I just need to build the PSU... the input is 8.3V, right?

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

petrochemist

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 08:58
bretti_kivi wrote:
I have one of the connectors for the K10 and will be using it with both that and the K5. Now I just need to build the PSU... the input is 8.3V, right?

Bret

The voltage & polarity is usually printed on the appliance next to the power socket.

Make sure you give it enough current capacity, cameras are high drain appliances, the K100d model needs 3.5A IIRC. Most consumer PSUs are under 1A.
I ended up getting a 7A selectable voltage switched mode one, for the K100 (~20). The Pentax model is reportedly 6.5V 3.5A, but 6V works perfectly (Its about what the 4 AA batteries give).
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

i-Berg

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 09:17
Don wrote:

I'd be interested to hear about those occasions when something did blow up Don!
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Don

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 10:56
i-Berg wrote:
Don wrote:

When I was younger, like ten or twelve I can't remember exactly... my friend down the road from my Gramma's had gotten an Estes Model Rocket kit for his birthday. That was soooo coool! We flew it a few times.
I didn't have money. But I had a library card. I took out some books on chemistry and Werner Von braun.
I scrounged up some scraps and household items and built my own rocket.
Going with liquid fuels for a first try was, how shall I put it? Ambitious.
I blew a hole big enough to bury a coffee table in, in Gramma's back yard.
That afternoon, my friends dad came over. He handed me a baseball sized rock (that had landed on his shop roof in his yard).... "This belongs to you I presume?" then he handed me a brand new Estes Rocket kit, Just like the one he gave his own son... "Play with this, it's safer."

Me and my friend, his son later that day got in trouble for damaging a parked car with a toy "Rocket car", sadly the frog piloting the car did not survive.
Live and learn... (if you live) I always say.

doingthebobs

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 12:20
There is one other thing you need to be aware of with mains power supplies and electronic equipment. As well as watching for the maximum load, you can get regulated and un-regulated plug top power supplies.
You will need the right sort!
Bob

alfpics

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 12:22
Don wrote:
i-Berg wrote:
Quote:

When I was younger, like ten or twelve I can't remember exactly... my friend down the road from my Gramma's had gotten an Estes Model Rocket kit for his birthday. That was soooo coool! We flew it a few times.
I didn't have money. But I had a library card. I took out some books on chemistry and Werner Von braun.
That afternoon, my friends dad came over. He handed me a baseball sized rock (that had landed on his shop roof in his yard).... "This belongs to you I presume?" then he handed me a brand new Estes Rocket kit, Just like the one he gave his own son... "Play with this, it's safer."

Me and my friend, his son later that day got in trouble for damaging a parked car with a toy "Rocket car", sadly the frog piloting the car did not survive.

Sounds like your lucky to be here to still tell the tale!
Andy
Andy

Don

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 15:40
alfpics wrote:
Don wrote:
Quote:
Don wrote:

Sounds like your lucky to be here to still tell the tale!
Andy

You have no idea how many times......
Yes God was angry at me. Said something about having to pay my Guardian Angel overtime and danger pay.

katiem111

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 15:54
ok, im going straight out to get some of those wires and things....not. Eby, here i come

katiem111

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 15:54
Ebay, even.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.