Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A Busy Afternoon in the Studio

johnriley
Posted 13/09/2016 - 19:31 Link
The model was Kier and I shared the studio with my friend Neil. We were experimenting with light and although much of the shoot was a nude session, here are a few other shots to see what you think.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Best regards, John
johnriley
Posted 13/09/2016 - 19:32 Link
PS All the images were shot with the pentax K-1 and the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm lens.
Best regards, John
davidstorm
Posted 13/09/2016 - 21:22 Link
I particularly like 2, 3 and 4 John, the light in the first one looks a bit harsh and directional, which is probably also the case in 2, 3 and 4 but it works in those because of the contrasts. The lens / camera combination looks to be very good.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McGregNi
Posted 13/09/2016 - 23:27 Link
I think No 2 is way above the others, mainly for the way the lighting angle has brought out texture and definition, and the shadows fall better also. The way the light follows her hairline around on her right side is great too, so whatever it was that you did with the angles and light in No2, that's what I'd be doing again!

The background also in No 2 works well, its not distracting .... the others might benefit from more separation, or perhaps you can chop the ambient exposure more as there are some creases and lines to be seen.

As David noted, the effect on the others is a bit 'hard', and whilst I'm no lighting expert, (far from it), the general principle to make it softer is 'closer and large', so maybe moving the light source closer (and consequently cutting the power) would help ....

I'm pleased to see the 28-105mm shining in a portrait role ..... I've not yet had a chance to try it for that type of shot, but its looking good!
Now, what about the Nude ones ... ? (sorry, naughty me, should not be thinking that, keep it to the lighting Nigel!! :roll
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 13/09/2016 - 23:29
RobL
Posted 14/09/2016 - 07:34 Link
Ditto above, also with reference to the gallery shot (there's the nude McGregNi) would a soft box or some kind of light diffuser help, maybe with a reflector to reduce the harshness of the shadows. Easy for me to say though, I have never tried studio work!
stub
Posted 14/09/2016 - 08:11 Link
Good efforts...No2 is for me the standout picture... The harsh lighting isnt very flattering to the young model. Though that could have been the photographers intention.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
johnriley
Posted 14/09/2016 - 08:56 Link
stub is right that the intention was to have the harsh lighting and shadows, lots of shadows. We wanted to get away from glamour cliches. Some of the most contrasty lighting was substantially lit by just one of the small 64 LED light panels that are available on eBay and Amazon for £15 or less. A reflector was used to throw a whisker of light into the shadows, but only just.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.