Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A 33-year-old lens

lidy
Posted 08/07/2010 - 19:29 Link
A Jupiter 11A, manufactured in the former USSR. I bought it last week and was 'finally' able to use it today 'cause the M42 adapter it needed which I bought off Jon (Schick) arrived. It needs some getting used to and some incamera adjustments but I love it!

Two shots of one of our dogs, both taken wide open (F4) at 135 mm and +2EV. Not bad for a lens this age and someone who's not really used to MF lenses, I think. What do you think?

Comment Image

Comment Image
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -
Edited by lidy: 08/07/2010 - 19:46
Algernon
Posted 08/07/2010 - 19:49 Link
The 11A and 37A are superb lenses, I've got both. More suitable for shots that feature bokeh, but sharp enough for photos of dogs as here.

The 37A is f/3.5 but I couldn't tell the difference between to two at f/4

My 37A has the Moscow Olympics logo on it.... still only cost £23 inc. postage

For a long time these two lenses have been a best kept secret
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
lidy
Posted 08/07/2010 - 21:54 Link
Thanks, Algi and Gareth!

Algi: I've heard and read about the wonderful bokeh of some Jupiter lenses AND seen pictures to prove it. I'll try to post pictures of that as well in the future, but for now I 'm just very happy with the results, using it as a portrait lens. I'm fascinated by the fact that a 33-year old lens can produce this kind of pictures. I'd love to know more about its journey through life.
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -
maxgorilla
Posted 08/07/2010 - 22:07 Link
Wow, these are fantastic shots. I first read about the Jupiter lenses a couple of weeks back and tried to get my hands on one of them, but lost out unfortunately. These great shots make me want to try harder to get a Jupiter lens now

Kev
lidy
Posted 08/07/2010 - 22:15 Link
Thanks, Kev. You may already know this site, but here you'll find some reviews of (and pictures taken with) various Jupiters: http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter36b/ Which Jupiter are you looking for?
maxgorilla
Posted 08/07/2010 - 22:33 Link
I've read many good things about the Jupiter-37A
lidy wrote:
Thanks, Kev. You may already know this site, but here you'll find some reviews of (and pictures taken with) various Jupiters: http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/jupiter/jupiter36b/ Which Jupiter are you looking for?

I've read many good things about the Jupiter-37A, but have seen good reports about the others as well, such as your lens here. I'm a big fan of images with DOF and good bokeh, I LOVE taking those kinds of shots. The 37A is supposed to have '12 perfectly round aperture blades, which helps create really smooth bokeh', which sounds good to me
fatspider
Posted 08/07/2010 - 23:55 Link
I think its been mentioned before on the forum somewhere, but the reason these old lenses work so well is due to the crop factor of the sensor, your only using the central part of the lens which is always going to be a lenses sweet spot

PS lovely Dog, but I bet hes smelly when wet
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
i-Berg
Posted 09/07/2010 - 08:52 Link
Focus and IQ have come up well in these shots Lidy.
bwlchmawr
Posted 09/07/2010 - 09:21 Link
Obviously a wonderful lens which you've made good use of. 135 is very "long" I find on a digital camera. You must have had to back off quite a long way to get these!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Tobio
Posted 12/07/2010 - 14:11 Link
Great photos, pleasing bokeh and shot from a good angle I believe and the dog seems happy too, not camera shy at all.
Best regards,
Tobio

K20d with Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro , smc da 18-55 mm, smc da 50-200 mm and smc da 55-300 mm + Metz 58 af-1. Editing with Pentax Photolab, Gimp and Paint.net.
lidy
Posted 12/07/2010 - 18:55 Link
Thanks everybody!

Andrew: yes, Id have to back off quite a bit and this focal length (new to me) will take some getting used to. Sometimes convenient, sometimes the opposite.

Tobio: this dog is definitely NOT camera shy. Heá also quite lazy (read: won't budge).These two characteristics combined make him a wonderful model!
Tobio
Posted 12/07/2010 - 21:32 Link
lidy wrote:

Tobio: this dog is definitely NOT camera shy. Heá also quite lazy (read: won't budge).These two characteristics combined make him a wonderful model!

I must say I envy you. I'd soo like to photograph dogs, but I don't know any that has one around here. My sister has nice cats but they aren't always very co-operative and if I shoot with flash the other cat gives me the 'you will pay' look. The other one is very excited when it sees any moving lights and it gets very curious about where the flash light went.
Best regards,
Tobio

K20d with Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro , smc da 18-55 mm, smc da 50-200 mm and smc da 55-300 mm + Metz 58 af-1. Editing with Pentax Photolab, Gimp and Paint.net.
flossie
Posted 12/07/2010 - 22:15 Link
Tobio wrote:

I must say I envy you. I'd soo like to photograph dogs, but I don't know any that has one around here.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding helpful models. Just buy a small packet of meaty dog treats and go for a walk in any park near houses. Before you know it, you'll have more applicants for the position than you can cope with....
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
womble
Posted 13/07/2010 - 00:23 Link
Seems a good price to me! One advantage of buying old lenses like this is that if you decide you don't like it you can sell it on for about the same money.

K
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Algernon
Posted 13/07/2010 - 08:26 Link
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Just bought a 11a 135mm for £25 delivered

That was cheap. I paid £30.95 delivered for mine complete with bakelite keeper and original caps and lens hood.

Very cleverly designed lens hood it takes the lens cap as well and smells like the sweaty inside of a Russian tank from WW2
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.