Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Why did you buy a Pantax?

Mongoose
Posted 29/12/2006 - 10:51 Link
impotentspider wrote:
Quote:
Pentax decided to use the K in the names of digitals, adding a D after the number.

So why didn't they market them as the KD range, KD100 KD110 KD10?
Also does this mean the next generation of Pentax DSLRs could be the M or A series or better still what about the LX10D, gold plated with snakeskin leather trim!

Glance sideways at the name K100D

Consider the name of Pentax's most famous product
Hyram
Posted 17/03/2007 - 20:43 Link
As a young lad I always wanted a Pentax Spotmatic but could not afford one. By the time I could afford one, the first K-mount cameras had arrived and I bought a KX. Regrettably I part exchanged it some years later for an ME Super. I don't regeret buying the ME Super but just wish that I had also kept the KX. Since then I have kept any cameras that I have bought, mainly for nostalgic reasons.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
shaks
Posted 18/01/2009 - 17:05 Link
Old thread I know but I still want to take part.

The first ever camera I could call my own was a Pentax MZ-7, got it as a birthday present. It felt wonderful, so i stuck with them. A few years later I decided to upgrade to a digital SLR, so I saw what was out there and noticed the Pentax K100d. It had everything I wanted and felt like a real camera - not the lightest of those out there.

I've just upgraded again, this time to a K10D. It should arrive on Tuesday and I can barely contain my excitement.
Malo1961
Posted 18/01/2009 - 17:47 Link
Somehow I seemed to have missed this thread.
Anyway.....The reason I decided for Pentax??
Two words: Takumar lenses.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
womble
Posted 18/01/2009 - 19:03 Link
Hells Bells this is an ancient thread.

Age 16, the ME Super was the camera to have. Excellent reviews, won prizes, LOTS of ads (Pentax take note!) etc. Saved my pennies from working in the newsagent. Friend bought one in the US for me (it was cheaper there). Fell in love.

Still have the original camera and lens, and one or two more. Tried other cameras over the years, usually through work. Stuck to Pentax.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
davidtrout
Posted 18/01/2009 - 19:37 Link
Got a Zenith, my first 'serious' camera in the 1970s but as a reporter on the evening paper I worked with professional snappers who used Pentax Spotmatics. I got more photographically ambitious and within a year or so I also had a Spotmatic. It was the SP500 but it also went up to 1000/th of a second, same as the more costly SP1000 like someone else said earlier in this thread.
When the MX came out I was a new memeber of a camera club and fell in love with it. Used the MX, and later an ME Super for many years until in th 1990s got the Pentax Z1. The professional press photographers had long since moved on to Nikon and then to the Canon EOS range but I stayed with Pentax. For a time I carried around a well-used Nikon FM2 at work, courtesy of our picture editor, and used it sometimes on stories when a 'pro' photographer wasn't available. Although it had a similar specification to the MX I never warmed to it like I did with the much smaller and more sophisticated Pentax.
When I turned digital just three years ago (*Ist DS)I didn't consider anything other than Pentax as I had compatible lenses and liked the ergonomics. Most of my camera club friends were onto the Canon digitals by this time with only a few Nikon users in Durham PS. I suspect we have at least as many Pentax users as Nikon users at Durham.
One of my fellow Pentaxians at Durham PS is John Attle, better known as DOIK on this site.
No plans to move on to any other make.
Edited by davidtrout: 18/01/2009 - 19:40
Oggy
Posted 18/01/2009 - 20:00 Link
It was the feel and weight that did it for me. I decided probably irrationally that I did not want to be part of the CaNikon OC. I have an Olympus OM1 which is a truly fine piece of engineering. I bought second hand in 1985 from a pro photographer and it has proved Oggyproof ever since. When I came to digital, I looked at the E510, but it just didn't feel right. I had done some research into other makes and had noticed that the K20 was substantially heavier than most, and as soon as I got my paws on it, I liked it.
Comment Image
gartmore
Posted 18/01/2009 - 20:19 Link
I was at Art School and the cameras there were PENTAX. The smart thing to do was buy a Zenith body and borrow SMC Takumars. Saved up loads of money from three part time jobs to buy a Spotmatic F - much nicer than a body made from reconstituted Russian tank parts. In 1975 the camera was £129, maybe £1000 now. I still have that battered and much loved camera and a couple of years ago bought a mint one on ebay for about £29!!!

Professionally I've used Olympus, Nikon, Mamiya, Minolta, Yashica, Hasselblad, Aaton, Arriflex, Canon, Sony and others. You can take the boy away from Pentax but you can't take the Pentax away from the boy.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Hyram
Posted 18/01/2009 - 21:32 Link
Everyone that I have asked, seems to have used Pentax cameras at Art School, University etc. probably because they were virtually bombproof and almost student proof
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
philstaff
Posted 18/01/2009 - 22:46 Link
Bought mine k100 D on recomendation from a guy who is chairman of an amature photography club. Never looked back and have upgraded to the K10 but kept the K100 D as a back up. I may purchase another camera in time just have to wait and see what Pentax comes out with in the next year or so. Im happy with my choice good value for the money in my opinion.
Ian
wasleys
Posted 19/01/2009 - 00:36 Link
About 1980 my father-in-law gave me his 1967 Spotmatic (which he found hard to work after smashing his arm in a car crash) together with some Tak lenses which I added to via eBay. I usually used slides and quite recently I bought a second Spottie so I could have 100 and 400 film available.

A late-adopting Luddite I eventually got fed up with scanning slides after getting through 30 odd films on a trip to Faroe and Iceland and decided to dip my toe into the digital water in 2006. After a long talk with a local dealer I got a Panasonic FZ7 which I took on a trip to Ireland as an extra camera to play with. To my shame (or not) I have to admit to not taking one slide shot all three weeks we were there. The FZ7 was brilliant but I did find it a bit physically small for me and thought it worthwhile going for a DSLR (although the FZ7 still gets taken as backup and for use when I don't want to hump a big camera).

Research led me to favour the K10D which had just arrived on account of its weather-sealing, in camera shake reduction and dust removal (dust being a problem that was then worrying me). Ease of getting other lenses and maybe using my M42 stuff played a part. And I think some brand loyalty and an illogical dislike of Canon were in there too.

With what I hoped was an open mind I went back to the dealer to see what was what. To me the most important starting point is how a camera feels in my hand. Some I gave straight back as soon as I was handed them as I knew I would be unhappy with them. (I did try them again a bit later and confirmed my view). One or two seemed possible within budget but the K10D, which I will admit to fancying, was comfortable and had the qualities I mentioned earlier. I also wanted to be able to go to about 24mm (35mm film) so the 16-45 lens was attractive. The dealer would price match SRS who seemed to have the best price at the time and the rest is history.
bforbes
Posted 19/01/2009 - 11:05 Link
It started when I inherited my dads Ricoh KR5. I upgraded to XRP and XRX with some additional lenses but then work got in the way and photography was left behind.

So when I retired and thought about getting back into it with digital I went for Pentax, so I could use my old lenses, having first made sure I could remove the extra contact.

I have not regretted it so far. I have to say one reason is this Forum which I find very useful and friendly.
Snootchies
Posted 19/01/2009 - 13:11 Link
For me, it was a purely accidental discovery....which kinda began last July (I'm afraid I cannot compete with you all here on your loyalty to Pentax spanning decades!). There is a bit of a story here; so appologies for the length....

I've always been very creative - designing things, sketching, cooking etc. In 2001 I lept into digital photography with the Fuji Finepix A210, and quickly discovered photography, and shot EVERYTHING I could - just on auto but I was really happy with what I was achieving.

I then progressed onto a Canon pro90 in early 2004 - a hell of a camera...yet I did'nt delve into the more advanced settings the camera could do - I chose to ignore them, fearing I would be lost in a complex world - I was happy with the simpler route. The green button was my friend!

Then in mid 2005 I went with a kodak DX6490. I seemed to be obsessed with the hallmark of a great camera was in how far you could zoom, which of course is utter rubbish. Nonetheless I was very happy with this capable little camera. Then it all changed in November 2005. With the shorter days I started to explore the world of shutter speed, and what a world that was - I got hooked on more advanced settings and I moved from the auto function for the first time to PASM mode - where I would spend most of my time from then on. My results were far better than I'd ever been able to get to date - and I loved night photography.

So...in mid 2008 I wanted to get a better system - do I go with a DSLR or a bridge camera? I had my heart set on the Fuji S9600; it was in my price range and I was'nt sure if I would understand the world of DSLR's (I knew NOTHING about them) plus it could do RAW (though rather clumsily by all accounts)- I considered it a risk to go for a DSLR since I really had'nt a clue, and besides they were out of my price range. I sat next to a collegue at work back then who had a D60 and a D200; a complete Nikon-phile; so any guesses on what system he kept recommending. I seriously considered a D40 or a D60...before realising that £300 plus at the time was a bit too much for me back then).

And then a quick ebay search later I came across a Samsung GX-1S for £200 with an 18-55 lens; used for just one photoshoot. A photographer used nearly 100 of them for some 3D modelling work around a massive rig. About ten were unmodified in any way, and put on Ebay. This was the same price as the S9600...and quite a bargain for July last year. Reviews suggested that this camera was a bit special so I took a chance. My world of photography exploded, and the last 6 months have been amazing. Unfortunately I droppped the GX-1S and cracked the screen about 2 months after having it. It still worked, but the screen did'nt. (I now have a camera bag!!!) I managed to sell it for £80 on Ebay body only (which I still can't believe)and found a refurbished K100D on Park Cameras body only for £150, as I still wanted to use my kit lens.

Thus in September 2008 I became a 'proper' Pentax user.

I realise that this was enirely down to fate - I had'nt looked up Samsung/Pentax DSLR's that much - in fact the only DSLR system I looked at in any great length was Nikon.

I just cant believe how fortunate I've been to stumble on Pentax. I now know a great deal about most of the DSLR models out there. How glad am I for not stepping into the Nikon camp and getting a D40 for example: VERY!

I sold my K100D to a work colleague last week, and I spent about an hour going through the camera with him, and explaining basic and more advanced concepts of photography - he told me that he could'nt believe that i'd picked up all of that in just a few months. I dont consider myself an expert in DSLR photography at all - but I really cannot believe how in the space of 6 months I've tackled very successfully the world of DSLR's and consider myself able to hold my own amongst you guys (I dont want that to sound arrogant - I just think i've picked things up very well in a short space of time).

So that's my (rather long) story of entering the world of Pentax.

My next camera upgrade will be purchased in 2 days. I've spent some time being very open with where I should go next; i've looked in great detail at all the major players - I have'nt a lens collection yet to influence my decision...but the K20D and it's compatible lenses bank-for-buck right now is the best DSLR system available in the world, it really is.

I plan on sticking with the K20D for a few years now...and plan on looking after it much better than the GX-1S! I know i'll be VERY happy.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Edited by Snootchies: 19/01/2009 - 13:22
tomkeet
Posted 19/01/2009 - 16:41 Link
Well I started with a ME (Great Camera) and a few lenes in the early eighties, then a ME Super which sadly died. After the children left the nest started again with a MZ60 and just the other year really got going with the K10D.
Regards
Tom

K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301
Aiki
Posted 19/01/2009 - 20:01 Link
I had my fathers Zenit. Broke it while hitch-hiking in Scotland. Then had some compacts for some years. Fed up. Bought another Zenit.
Now some more money available started planning digi. Hesitated about Oly 510 and Pentax 10D. Chose Pentax as to my mind better quality for the money. If to take Oly, then only with the best objes...but this was too much for my wollet.
It is a great step for me to buy 10D, now I have to make a great step with my skills as well
Aiki

----
Pentax K20D; SMC DA 18-55mm II kit; Sigma AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
GIMP Flickr
PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.