Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Di and Tamron 1.4x AF TC

RichardDay
Posted 25/04/2009 - 11:38 Link
Comment Image

Decided to sell my 6 week old 70-200 f2.8 Di and the superb Tamron 1.4x AF TC. I've decided to stick with all Pentax glass for various reasons (I won't bore you!)

Sample images and test shots available on my Flickr site: link

70-200 Di - £525 with free UK shipping - as new, all original boxes etc.
1.4x AF TC - £100 with free UK shipping - mint/as new (original box, paperwork etc).

Paypal, or less 5% with cleared funds (cheque, cash, transfer etc.)
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Edited by RichardDay: 04/05/2009 - 11:03
loskeran
Posted 26/04/2009 - 11:55 Link
Hi Richard,
I can vouch for the 70-200mm Tamron as to it's quality, If I did not already have a tammy I would jump at the chance.
Also on the K20, in my opinion a very good match, with very crisp colours and sharp through out the range.
Mannesty
Posted 26/04/2009 - 12:21 Link
Richard, I'd appreciate an opinion of the IQ difference between your Tamron 70-200 1:2.8 and your newly acquired DA*60-250 1:4.

I also went for the DA*60-250 1:4but I would have preferred a 1:2.8 for indoor horse event photography where the use of flash is not permissible.

The only comparison I have is between my DA* 50-135 1:2.8 on my K20D and the Canon 70-200L 1:2.8 on my son's 30D. Both compare favourably but of course the 70-200L has that bit more reach.

Time will tell if the limitation of f4 is indeed a limitation.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
RichardDay
Posted 27/04/2009 - 10:48 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Richard, I'd appreciate an opinion of the IQ difference between your Tamron 70-200 1:2.8 and your newly acquired DA*60-250 1:4.

I also went for the DA*60-250 1:4but I would have preferred a 1:2.8 for indoor horse event photography where the use of flash is not permissible.

The only comparison I have is between my DA* 50-135 1:2.8 on my K20D and the Canon 70-200L 1:2.8 on my son's 30D. Both compare favourably but of course the 70-200L has that bit more reach.

Time will tell if the limitation of f4 is indeed a limitation.

It's a very close call IQ wise, I find no discernable difference at any aperture, even f4.0, which impressed me, plus I never use f2.8 at these longer focal lengths due to such low DOF. The clincher for me was size/weight, sealing, SDM, quick-shift, similar colour/rendering to other Pentax glass and the small detachable tripod foot. I know these are very personal issues and to some f2.8 is very important, i.e. theatre and portrait use etc., plus a non extending zoom.

I would give both lenses very similar marks out of 10, for me it's 8.5/10 for the Tamron and 9/10 for the Pentax, for others it would be reversed.

Another very important issue for many these days is cost, The Tamron is around £250 less than the Pentax using SRS prices, £649 v. £899 (£799 was for his first delivery only, probably all sold by now). I wouldn't be surprised to see that price gap to widen again during the summer.

In fact, if the 60-250 hadn't been equal to the Tamron wide open at f4.0, I wouldn't have bought it, even at £799, £899 would make it even less likely.

I've done an exhaustive test between the 55-300, 60-250 and Tamron and posted (in multiple posts) on DePressing Review. It's too much content to repost it all here, I suggest that you take a look at my original post as well a the 7 follow up posts, so here is the link to the comparative test #1. link
Best regards
Richard Day

RichardDay
Posted 27/04/2009 - 17:55 Link
The TC has been bought.

Just found out that it works really well with my new DA*60-250, although it wouldn't lock with earlier versions of the DA*16-50 or 50-135!

Maybe I should have kept it!
Best regards
Richard Day

Substitute
Posted 01/05/2009 - 08:04 Link
Hi Richard

Could you try to make some low light pictures. I would be using this for concerts only.
As I have theFA*28-70mm it could complement it perfectly, I'd just have to sell my 50-135mm and get a 12-28 f2.8.
- Eerr What?
- SUch thing as a 12-28mm f2.8 does not exist...
- What????

Thanks
loskeran
Posted 01/05/2009 - 09:40 Link
Substitute wrote:
Hi Richard

Could you try to make some low light pictures. I would be using this for concerts only.
As I have theFA*28-70mm it could complement it perfectly, I'd just have to sell my 50-135mm and get a 12-28 f2.8.
- Eerr What?
- What????

Thanks

Hi, Sorry to butt in but the Tammy is superb in lower light, I have done a few myself, and as long as there is just enough for it all will be well, with focusing still good.
What the new pentax 60-270mm is like, I dont know, but it sounds like you want that bit extra on the "Stops", wide open the lens is still good, unlike the Sigma HSM 70-200.
RichardDay
Posted 01/05/2009 - 10:25 Link
Substitute wrote:
Hi Richard

- Eerr What?
- What????

Thanks

I've done very little at low light with the Tammy wide open as I don't do any concert type work or had it long enough to do much indoor work, but I suspect that it would be perfect for that.

I've trawled through my collection and the only low light shot taken wide open was of our old cat Jasmine below. Taken at ISO 1600, 1/30th sec at f2.8. The lens has no problems focussing in low light as it has excellent contrast thereby allowing the AF to lock easily and quickly.

Comment Image
Best regards
Richard Day

Edited by RichardDay: 01/05/2009 - 10:27
RR
Posted 01/05/2009 - 11:38 Link
I'm very tempted by this Richard, but have vowed to curb my LBA until the "K7D" announcement. I suspect I'll be better served by buying quality lenses, but I am hopeful for a true innovation.

The Tamron looks significantly sharper at wider apertures than the Sigma equivalent.
Edited by RR: 01/05/2009 - 11:39
RichardDay
Posted 01/05/2009 - 11:59 Link
RR wrote:
I'm very tempted by this Richard, but have vowed to curb my LBA until the "K7D" announcement. I suspect I'll be better served by buying quality lenses, but I am hopeful for a true innovation.

The Tamron looks significantly sharper at wider apertures than the Sigma equivalent.

The new body will be "much" more expensive than the Tamron! As to innovation, yes of course, it's , but I'm not springing for one, probably not until it's replacement is released! (Unless I get offered a free one , or my K20D breaks and there aren't any left :cry.

The Tamron is very sharp at f2.8 and razor sharp at f4.0, but the DOF at close range is minuscule! It was a very hard decision for me to make about replacing it with the 60-250, but the DA* won me over (just!).
Best regards
Richard Day

RR
Posted 01/05/2009 - 12:19 Link
RichardDay wrote:
RR wrote:

The new body will be "much" more expensive than the Tamron! As to innovation, yes of course, it's , but I'm not springing for one, probably not until it's replacement is released! (Unless I get offered a free one , or my K20D breaks and there aren't any left :cry.

The Tamron is very sharp at f2.8 and razor sharp at f4.0, but the DOF at close range is minuscule! It was a very hard decision for me to make about replacing it with the 60-250, but the DA* won me over (just!).

All the more reason not to have an empty photography fund when it's announced !

I realise that wider apertures would have limited practical use, but I always crave a bright viewfinder. In the unlikely event that you still have it for sale when I'm dissapointed by the new body specs then I'll be in touch
RichardDay
Posted 01/05/2009 - 12:37 Link
RR wrote:
RichardDay wrote:
Quote:

All the more reason not to have an empty photography fund when it's announced !

I realise that wider apertures would have limited practical use, but I always crave a bright viewfinder. In the unlikely event that you still have it for sale when I'm dissapointed by the new body specs then I'll be in touch

Going on Eekbay in the next 24 hours.
Best regards
Richard Day

RichardDay
Posted 05/05/2009 - 09:24 Link
The lens is now up on ebay, item # 140318453160 if you're interested.

I also have a few other items up for sale, tripods, heads, RA finder, etc., and more going up over the next couple of days.

I'm having a Spring Clean!
Best regards
Richard Day

Edited by RichardDay: 05/05/2009 - 09:27
JasonRawlings
Posted 05/05/2009 - 10:35 Link
I had a punt but didn't make the reserve.
K20D and a few different lenses. Plus I'm a complete noob.
RichardDay
Posted 07/05/2009 - 10:00 Link
JasonRawlings wrote:
I had a punt but didn't make the reserve.

But you were awfully close!
Best regards
Richard Day

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.