Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

70mm limited on film cameras?

amilner
Posted 29/01/2008 - 08:05 Link
I know the 70mm 2.4 limited is designed for the digital sensor but so is the 40mm 2.8 limited and that in fact has a big enough image circle for film.

So I was wondering whether in fact the 70mm also has a big enough image circle for film. Has anybody tried it - or is there anybody who has one and a film body and willing to mount it and look through the viewfinder for vignetting?

I'm tempted by it as a portrait lens - but I could possibly be tempted by the 77 1.8 which obviously I could also use on the MZ6 and the Super A - not that I use them so much these days. However the 77 is almost twice the price!
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner
johnriley
Posted 29/01/2008 - 08:24 Link
Do you use the film cameras at all? The last film image I shot was the last frame I exposed for the Images of England project before it closed.

If you do and it's for critical use then maybe the 77mm could be justified.

Really only you can decide.
Best regards, John
amilner
Posted 29/01/2008 - 13:03 Link
I do occasionally. I leep a roll of colour slide film in the MZ6 (usually Velvia 100) and a roll of BW in the Super A (usually Delta 400) for a variety of reasons.

(i) I like using older cameras - this applies especially to the Super A. While I am very pleased with my K10D and use it most there is something about using a camera that I actually know how it works and could probably, if pushed, take apart and put back together again

(ii) I have ultra wide lenses which suit them - a K17 fisheye and a (suprisingly good) Cosina 19-35. The widest lens I have for digital is the 16-15 (ie 24mm equiv). I don't use that sort of wide angle enough to realy justify the expense of either the 12-24 (though I may one day stretch to the Sigma 10-20 - its in the balance with the short telephoto...) or the 10-17

(iii) There is nothing quite like getting a box of slides back from the processor and looking at them on a lightbox. And I like the grain on faster BW films when it is enlarged a bit. I know you can add 'grain' in post processing but that feels like cheating to me. I have good film scanning kit so I can move to digital printing quite easily. I currently don't have access to a chemical darkroom, which is a pity.

(iv) both are smaller (and lighter) than my K10D - indeed the Super A and the 50/1.7 will fit in my coat pocket. Of course the Optio is even smaller still but image quality is better from the Super A.
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.