$45 garage sale purchase worth 200million !


Clarky

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 10:29
How lucky was this guy
link
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

hefty1

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 10:37


I don't know what's more suprising - that he got such a bargain or that you didn't beat him to it Clarky
Joining the Q

Dangermouse

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 10:41
And I thought I'd just done well in bagging a tidy black ME Super for a tenner!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

adwb

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 10:45
Clarky, not only lucky, but you have to admire the work that has gone into trying to authenticate the negs, a very difficult task [as the article says] when there is no signature.
I note with amusement the comment from the grandson, no doubt miffed that he has lost out on some of his free income.
regards
Alistair

quote :- A Los Angeles art gallery unveiled the photographs this week, although some experts remain sceptical over the authenticity, including Adams' own grandson.
I dont think you can prove absolutely that they are or that they are not real, Matthew Adams, who is president of the Ansel Adams Gallery, told msnbc.com.
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 10:53
Sounds good, but surely he doesn't own the Copyright and has probably made it more difficult to have prints made by identifying the photographer.

I suppose it will boil down to the negatives are his (unless they can be proven to be stolen property) and unless someone pays him they can't make prints either

Permission for prints would be needed from the copyright owner in any case.

The best solution is to come to an agreement to sell the plates back to the copyright owner.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/07/2010 - 10:54

Clarky

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 11:06
hefty1 wrote:


I don't know what's more suprising - that he got such a bargain or that you didn't beat him to it Clarky

Missed it by -------- that much

Algi, If Ansel Adams sold the negatives, and if it can be proven one way or the other, does the copyright then not transfer over to the new owner. The article does not say how the chap back in the 40s came to have them in his possession. I think it could get ugly before anyone sees any money for them.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

sam-joseph

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 11:38
My dream is to come across a big box of Pentax primes at a garage sale, all for twenty bucks. You know, stuff like a 200mm f4 macro, 85mm* f1.4, 50mm* f1.2, 135mm* lens, 300mm anything, etc, etc, etc.
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70

Clarky

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 11:54
sam-joseph wrote:
My dream is to come across a big box of Pentax primes at a garage sale, all for twenty bucks. You know, stuff like a 200mm f4 macro, 85mm* f1.4, 50mm* f1.2, 135mm* lens, 300mm anything, etc, etc, etc.
Regards

I think you would have a better chance of finding another Ansel Adams cache somewhere.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

sam-joseph

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 12:25
Maybe your bag of lenses would suffice, Clarky. I'll give you a fifty.....
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 12:47
Clarky wrote:

Algi, If Ansel Adams sold the negatives, and if it can be proven one way or the other, does the copyright then not transfer over to the new owner. The article does not say how the chap back in the 40s came to have them in his possession. I think it could get ugly before anyone sees any money for them.

The grandson of Ansel Adams seems to think they aren't real. So he probably can't do anything until someone starts selling them as genuine, when I'm sure he will step in.

Copyright law has changed a lot over the years. It used to be that the photographer could sell the negative and all rights for a fee. It's unlikely that AA would have sold these, his prints weren't worth much in those days and it mentions that he was teaching. Why would anyone want to buy 61 glass negatives? and where is the sale contract. They could also be the work of a student or employee.

This page has a few of the photos. If they are basing their evidence on the first pair of photos... they don't look anything like the same

They don't even seem clear about if they have been in a fire or not?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 13:01
This is a nice video in which Ansel Adams talks about photography.
Some good quotes.


This page has a better version of the story... including talk of law suits. Link

Edit:

The Ansel Adams Gallery has quite a long statement.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/07/2010 - 13:21

MrCynical

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 20:56
One of the captions interested me: "Experts say Adams' negatives are almost worthless since most of his creativity was down to how he produced photos in the darkroom"

This, IMHO, is the ultimate retort to the likes of Ken Rockwell who claim that post processing isn't "real" photography and everyone should use out-of-camera JPEGs.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 21:14
MrCynical wrote:
One of the captions interested me: "Experts say Adams' negatives are almost worthless since most of his creativity was down to how he produced photos in the darkroom"

Exactly. This 'Adam Ansells' chap was just a lazy cheat who couldn't take a picture for toffee and had to correct his mistakes in post processing. Not what I would even call photography. Charlatan.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Dangermouse

Link Posted 28/07/2010 - 22:56
I wish to cast no aspersions on either side, however...

It occurs to me that proclaiming the negatives not to be genuine would be a smart move on the part of someone whose livelihood depends on their control of such a lucrative source of income as the proven genuine negatives they own. I would have been more surprised had he said "Yes, those are real, my grandfather must have left them in storage somewhere" as this would further authenticate negatives with the potential to make their owner tidy sums of money.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Algernon

Link Posted 29/07/2010 - 13:09
Dangermouse wrote:
I wish to cast no aspersions on either side, however...

It occurs to me that proclaiming the negatives not to be genuine would be a smart move on the part of someone whose livelihood depends on their control of such a lucrative source of income as the proven genuine negatives they own. I would have been more surprised had he said "Yes, those are real, my grandfather must have left them in storage somewhere" as this would further authenticate negatives with the potential to make their owner tidy sums of money.

That's possibly why they are saying that they will prosecute for using the name "Ansell Adams" puts the onus on the other side to prove everything.

I would have thought anyway that only his TOP works would be worth anything and then only if they are printed exactly as he printed the original.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.