Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

2nd Body

Gazman46
Posted 20/07/2012 - 08:32 Link
Hi just a thought what do people think would be a good second body choice K5,or the K 30 .At the moment have just the Kr twin lens kit.Hopefully will get a second body this Autumn.
johnriley
Posted 20/07/2012 - 08:36 Link
I have always tried to make the second body the same as the first. For yourself, that would suggest another K-r.

That way, there are identical controls, so no confusion, identical batteries and other accessories. If you have two different types of body you may well prefer one to the other and consequently that will be used allo the time. The second one could become relatively redundant.

New K-r cameras can still be found. Perhapd SRS still have some purple ones left!
Best regards, John
Still27
Posted 20/07/2012 - 09:14 Link
johnriley wrote:
I have always tried to make the second body the same as the first. For yourself, that would suggest another K-r.

I agree with the above, but I had a K20D, bought a K5 and kept the K20 as a second body but as soon as I could afford it (and the price dropped )I bought a second K5.
If I was you I would buy the K5 they are great. But then I have not tried the K30 or K-R.
Bill
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/
johnriley
Posted 20/07/2012 - 09:20 Link
As Bill highlights really, if upgrading is the objective of course we have to move onwards and upwards. If the purpose was to do this, then a K-5 for general use, plus hanging on to the K-r for a while as a spare just in case, is an alternative plan.

I say the K-5 as the price is very keen again just now and this is the best time to buy it new.

Whatever advice we give, it all depends on the game plan of the OP.
Best regards, John
jules
Posted 20/07/2012 - 09:31 Link
johnriley wrote:
I have always tried to make the second body the same as the first. For yourself, that would suggest another K-r.

That way, there are identical controls, so no confusion, identical batteries and other accessories. If you have two different types of body you may well prefer one to the other and consequently that will be used allo the time. The second one could become relatively redundant.

New K-r cameras can still be found. Perhapd SRS still have some purple ones left!

johnriley wrote:
As Bill highlights really, if upgrading is the objective of course we have to move onwards and upwards. If the purpose was to do this, then a K-5 for general use, plus hanging on to the K-r for a while as a spare just in case, is an alternative plan.

I say the K-5 as the price is very keen again just now and this is the best time to buy it new.


Whatever advice we give, it all depends on the game plan of the OP.

Firmly agree with all that, if you can, have two the same, I can't stress that enough! I've got that one wrong more than once, when I used to shoot Motorcycle road racing on a regular basis with a D3 and a D300/700,
Confusion reigned
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
fritzthedog
Posted 20/07/2012 - 11:50 Link
Whilst there is certainly logic in the above replies. I would add that it can depend on your reason for wanting a second body.

In my case I currently have a K5 and a Kr. I do not have the Kr as a back up in case of problems with the K5 - nor do I have it because it is easier to have 2 bodies and 2 lenses rather than swapping lenses.

I have the Kr as my second body because it is smaller, lighter and easier to use (i.e. has more automatic modes. So I use the Kr when I want to travel light or when I may be in situations where I find it easier to be lazy - e.g. days out with the kids or in situations where I feel more comfortable using a cheaper body.

Horses for courses.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
jules
Posted 20/07/2012 - 12:04 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Whilst there is certainly logic in the above replies. I would add that it can depend on your reason for wanting a second body.

In my case I currently have a K5 and a Kr. I do not have the Kr as a back up in case of problems with the K5 - nor do I have it because it is easier to have 2 bodies and 2 lenses rather than swapping lenses.

I have the Kr as my second body because it is smaller, lighter and easier to use (i.e. has more automatic modes. So I use the Kr when I want to travel light or when I may be in situations where I find it easier to be lazy - e.g. days out with the kids or in situations where I feel more comfortable using a cheaper body.

Horses for courses.

Carl

I nearly posted that as an addendum to my post!

As thats my plan to have a K3 or whatever eventually for my longer lenses and all the zooms and a K5 for use in a small bag with just a few lenses for travel and going light...

Long way from being able to afford all that kit again at the moment, next target is tha DA* 300 again! wish I'd never sold that un!

As you say, it depends on your usage and how much you trust your main body and how vital it is to get the shot there and then...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 20/07/2012 - 12:04
Photoaddict
Posted 20/07/2012 - 12:53 Link
Paid a visit to Comet in Broadstairs this morning.
They are selling KR for 249.99! A sure bargain for this fine camers!
jules
Posted 20/07/2012 - 13:56 Link
Photoaddict wrote:
Paid a visit to Comet in Broadstairs this morning.
They are selling KR for 249.99! A sure bargain for this fine camers!

Thats insane!

Helluva a closeout...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
paulgee20
Posted 20/07/2012 - 14:32 Link
Did you buy them out lol.......
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
bernado
Posted 20/07/2012 - 19:45 Link
Photoaddict wrote:
Paid a visit to Comet in Broadstairs this morning.
They are selling KR for 249.99! A sure bargain for this fine camers!

michaelblue
Posted 20/07/2012 - 19:57 Link
Particularly when Tesco are selling it for 419.99
Regards,
Michael

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.