2015 GB Sprint Championship - Croft Circuit

SRHphoto

Link Posted 09/04/2015 - 12:19
I managed to sneak out of the house for a couple of hours on Easter Monday to watch the practice runs of round 2 of the 2015 GB Sprint Championship at Croft Circuit. Here's a couple of the photos I took.

#1 A wider, scenic view

2015 GB Sprint Championship Round 2 by srhphoto, on Flickr

#2 Gould GR55

#3 A mighty Marcos Mantis

#4 A very rapid Westfield

All were shot using a K3 + Tamron 70-200mm f2.8.

Hope you enjoy them. It's great to see so many motorsport threads on here

Cheers,

Simon.
Last Edited by SRHphoto on 09/04/2015 - 12:21

simonarron

Link Posted 09/04/2015 - 15:20
Some nice stuff there, Simon - particularly like the second & fourth.

A mate of mine has just picked up a Tamron 70-200 and obtained some excellent results with it at Oulton Park last weekend. I was already sorely tempted before I saw these...

SRHphoto

Link Posted 09/04/2015 - 19:42
simonarron wrote:
Some nice stuff there, Simon - particularly like the second & fourth.

A mate of mine has just picked up a Tamron 70-200 and obtained some excellent results with it at Oulton Park last weekend. I was already sorely tempted before I saw these...

It's a great lens Simon, and an absolute performance bargain! I love mine .

A question. As a regular motorsport shooter, would you mind sharing your AF settings for your K3? I still have 'trust issues' with AF-C on my K3 and tend to shoot motorsport the old school way I.e. Pre-focusing. All of the above shots were taken this way. Any info or experiences would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Simon.

simonarron

Link Posted 09/04/2015 - 20:11
Simon

I tend to vary my technique according to circumstance. If I'm panning, I usually get the best results by pre-focusing and then framing the shot via the viewfinder as appropriate. The downside is that some drivers take a different line every lap and thus drift in and out of the focus zone (in Formula One terms, Felipe Massa is a serial offender). Generally, though, it seems to be the best method.

If I'm taking single-car shots, at a sprint/hillclimb or during a practice/qualifying session, again I often pre-focus on a particular spot and trust drivers to pass through it.

In racing situations, I tend to stick with AF-C, because it's a more flexible method and gives you half a chance of capturing something if there's an incident nearby and you need to react. Like you, I don't have complete faith in AF-C - sometimes I'll take a sequence that is pin-sharp, followed by a sequence that is anything but (presumably because focus is consistently locking onto a kerb or something else just beyond the car). I generally use centre-point AF, so have only myself to blame if I miss the target.

Doubt the above will be of much use, but it's what I do.

Yrs undecided whether to cover Mallory Park, Snetterton, Brands Hatch or Harewood this weekend,
Other Simon

Helpful

SRHphoto

Link Posted 09/04/2015 - 20:34
Very helpful Simon. It confirms I'm on the right track (I think) as your approach pretty much exactly mirrors my own.

Cheers,

Simon.

paulallen

Link Posted 10/04/2015 - 17:23
A good set..really like number 1. Your panning is spot on in all of these..good colour and nice shape images.

SRHphoto

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 12:11
paulallen wrote:
A good set..really like number 1. Your panning is spot on in all of these..good colour and nice shape images.

Thanks Paul. The K3 + Tamron 70-200 combination really work well together to deliver great colour and sharpness.

Cheers,

Simon.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.