*1stDS / Windows XP problem

reddy4it247

Link Posted 15/10/2005 - 11:55

I have just got a *1stDS which is great as I can now use my old P50 lenses.
I have a Windows problem tho'.

Camera conected with USB cable to Windows XP PC.
Windows sees camera as a hard drive in "Device Manager" as "PENTAX DIGITAL_CAMERA USB Device" and Properties says Working ok, but it is not showing in "My Computer" window , so I can't move pictures to PC or download any upgrades to the camera hardware.
Has anybody any solutions to this problem please?

George Lazarette

Link Posted 15/10/2005 - 12:50
Lots of people seem to have problems with Windows and USB.

The solution is to buy a card reader. The USB cable and the download software can then be thrown away. You won't need them again, even for firmware upgrades. They can be done more effectively using the memory card.

G

Kevin Stephens

Link Posted 15/10/2005 - 18:31
if your PC only has USB1, it is well worth upgrading to USB 2 at the same time. Geater speed and much more stable

reddy4it247

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 01:04
Still no joy
I bought a card reader today and it does the same as the camera even with a different camera's card in it as well !!

I have USB2.

I think the problem must be Windows XP as I have an older PC running ME and it works on that one.

It seems that the "My Computer" screen does not recognise new removable storage icons for some reason although the rest of the PC see's it ok.

Anonymous

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 12:03
Are you by any chance pluging the reader into a USB hub, try pluging it straight into the USB connection ON the PC.

Sometimes XP will recognise a USB mass storage device attached to a USB hub but for some unknown reason (Bill ?) it just won't work. I have 2 Multi Card USB readers (USB 1 & 2) that don't let me copy or move files from a 1GB Sandisk SD card but they both read a 32MB SD card OK. Also try formating SD cards in the camera not the PC (XP's default format is FAT32), my 750Z does not recognise them if the have been formated by the PC.

I can only get my Dell laptop with a built in SD reader to read from the 1GB SD card formatted in the camera,
Both readers have no trouble reading CF cards formated either by the camera or the PC. WEIRD!!!

Cheers Brian

reddy4it247

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 14:08
Windows sees card reader as a hard drive in "Device Manager" and Properties says Working ok, also sees it in "Sandra",
but it is not showing in "My Computer" window as a removable drive
or in Control Panel/Scanners & Cameras,

so I can't move pictures to PC from card reader.

Running WindowsXP Pro & USB2 from m/board to hub in case.

Card reader works ok on an WinME PC.

Ideas anybody please..............Robin..

johnriley

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 19:43
How about removing and uninstalling the card reader, then reattaching it and letting it re-install? It may not even need the installation CD and it could solve the problem.
Best regards, John

MattMatic

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 20:54
XP should recognise the card reader (and the camera too) without a driver disk. If you used the CD supplied with the reader this may have confused XP...
Matt

Kim C

Link Posted 16/10/2005 - 23:01
It is always difficult trying to analyse computer problems based on a description and without seeing it. However, I would tend to agree with Matt. I wouldn't think it is a card reader driver problem but if anything it is more likely to be a windows problem. Try and find, beg, borrow or steal another completely different "mass storage" device and see if this works. If this also has a problem, it is likely to be a fault in the windows system.

Try going into control panel, system, hardware, device manager and see if there are any question marks, exclamation marks etc. This should tell you if there is a conflict or some other problem.

Kim

Anonymous

Link Posted 04/01/2006 - 11:59
You guys could avoid USB/MS Windows problems by running under Linux.

Linux works just fine with my *istD and GIMP is a viable alternative to PHOTOSHOP. I can even handle RAW files.

Also, I don't suffer from crashes, screwups or viruses. I gave up using Microsoft stuff some years ago.

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 07/01/2006 - 18:55
Go into the Control Panel, and open up Administrative Tools and then Computer Management. Look in Disk Management to see if the card is showing up. When a card reader is connected via USB, it shold show up as a local drive.

You may need to assign a drive letter to it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.