Algernon

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 12:12
Very Nice!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Frogherder

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 13:20
Thanks for the pictures, I'd been trying to remember what my 1st Pentax was, and there it is in last but one pic. I bought it second (3rd/4th?)hand in 1970/1 together with a Weston Light Meter and kept them until mid 80's when I bought a new Minolta X300 (because it had metering facility). I gave the camera away to a neighbours teenage son (the trade in value was zero). Mine had a brown leather case.

If only I'd kept it

Bernard

hefty1

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 16:16
I'm glad the AP is working again - it was a very clean and pretty example. And congratulations on finding the 58/2.4 - that's one lens I would still like to try as it's the only Heliar-based lens Pentax have ever made.
Joining the Q

womble

Link Posted 30/06/2011 - 21:36
I'm jealous!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

microlight2010

Link Posted 22/07/2011 - 14:40
Quick update: the AP works perfectly with my iPhone light meter! With third-stops selected, I can meter for all of those original non-arithmetic shutter-speeds.

I've also managed to get my paws on the AP's sibling, a 1957 Asahi Pentax S, fitted with another of the original standard lenses, the Gaussian 55mm/f2.2. A great find, considering that there were only around 5,000 of these made.

There's something suspicious going on in the shutter department because although it will wind on and the high speed dial rotates, there must be something not connected inside because the shutter curtains don't move and the mirror doesn't flip. Another job for Robin at Harrow Technical! Another beauty that's come my way to sit alongside my first-series 1964 Spotty is this lovely condition SL. It came with a SuperTak 55/1.8 but I've put a 50/1.4 on it for trying out. It's already got a roll of Fuji Superia 200 in it.

All pics taken with my Pentax X90, BTW

K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy

Dangermouse

Link Posted 22/07/2011 - 17:08
Very nice - you need the clip-on light meter for the SL now!

How do you tell the age of a Spotmatic? I bought one a while ago which I think is from one of the earlier production runs but I've no idea. The serial number is 1453173
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

microlight2010

Link Posted 22/07/2011 - 21:48
I've got a mkII meter sitting on top of a SV; might see if that fits. Although I have to say I'm really enjoying using the iPhone meter, which seems to be pretty good. It's real seat-of-the-pants photography, which is very different to what I do with my X90.

From what I've gleaned from various sources, Spotties of all descriptions seem to have been manufactured in campaign batches, resulting in the following serial numbers and years:
1000001-1500000 - 1964
2300001-3000000 - 1967
3500001-4000000 - 1970
4150001-4351904 - 1973

My early Spotty is 1028439, making it one of the earliest.

At least, I think this is how it goes! Asahi serial numbering is very difficult to try to come to terms with.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 22/07/2011 - 22:19
So mine's probably a 1964 model too then, that's good!

I should perhaps explain how I came by it...

I bought a minty KM which came with a Spotmatic case, genuine M42 adapter and Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 (the earlier version which goes down to f22). Inside the case was a sticker for "Wallace Heaton", a bit of research found that they'd been bought out (by Dixons IIRC?) before the release of the KM, and the case was a Spotmatic one rather than a KM/KX case. So I started looking for a tidy Spotmatic to complete the set, after deciding that the original owner had evidently replaced a dead spotty with the KM. Finding an early one on ebay in good condition for £20 or so I pounced on it, now I have a minty Spotmatic with original case, strap and 35mm lens and a minty KM with original case and K 55mm f1.8. The latter has seen rather more use as the metering is more accurate.

I think the SV meter will fit, the prism housing and shutter speed dial look to have the same spacing.
Matt

microlight2010

Link Posted 24/07/2011 - 17:41
My first Pentax was a second-hand KM with 55/1.8 that I got around 1977. It was stolen about a year later and I replaced it with a MX with 50/1.7, which I still have. It's only in the last few years that I've been building a collection of pre-MX Pentaxes, and have replaced my 'lost' KM and more recently, the lens.

The brilliantly simple designs created by the Asahi engineers are to me demonstrated in the two pictures above: the earlier S-type body is timeless, while the earlier Spotmatic design (as in the SL) really does show where Olympus got the idea for their OM1 shape from.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 24/07/2011 - 22:26
microlight2010 wrote:

The brilliantly simple designs created by the Asahi engineers are to me demonstrated in the two pictures above: the earlier S-type body is timeless, while the earlier Spotmatic design (as in the SL) really does show where Olympus got the idea for their OM1 shape from.

Hmmm. If you own a pre-M series Leica, you'll see where Pentax got its front-mounted slow-speed shutter dial from.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/07/2011 - 22:38
The interesting part to me is how adding the hotshoe changed the shape of the bodies between the Spotmatic and K series. A slightly differently shaped prism housing makes the KM look a lot more modern than the mechanically very similar Spotmatic.

My first was a used K1000 in the mid 1990s, in recent years I've been assembling a collection of classic film bodies and lenses. I just find them nicer to use than the later AF bodies. I spent some time today with my MZ-7 (needs some attention as the shutter seems to jam on the first shot of the day, then settles down after a quick tap to unjam it) and found myself wishing I'd taken my KX or KM instead. The viewfinder display on the MZ-7 is a bit hard to read in strong sunlight, compared to the match needles on the KX or the single needle on the KM which were made for bright summer days.
Matt

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.