18-55 Lens question

bigyinn

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 08:34
Ok, so Im in the position where I have two 18-55 lenses, only one of which I want to keep.

1) DA L 18-55 AL WR
2) Sansung D Xenon 18-55 (basically the Pentax DA 18-55 AL II)

So my question is, which one do I keep? I suppose the optics are pretty much identical, so its down to the contruction and features of the lenses. Im leaning towards the DA L because of it's weather resistance, but it doesnt have the metal mount or quick shift. I can't say im bothered about quick shift, as I rarely manual focus, but the metal mount seems preferable for long term durability.
Anyone know if you can swap the mounts over so that you could convert the WR to a metal mount?

Your thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.

Tyr

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 10:39
The Samsung lens in the Mk I version where was the DA L is the Mk II version of the optics.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

AndrewA

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 12:39
I know this is not what you are asking but if weather resistance is not a priority sell both and get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
If the wr is an issue then still sell both and put the money towards a used DA 18-135mm.
But, to answer your question test both out taking the same shots under the same conditions with the same settings then keep the one that performs best as one is bound to out perform the other.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

bigyinn

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 13:57
Thanks for the comments.
In the longer term something with slightly bigger aperture is in my plan.
The 18-135 is also another possibility.
I've got the Sanmsung lens up for sale with the Camera at the moment, as I doubt there's must between the two really.

davidstorm

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 15:32
I would keep the DA L WR version. I've never had issues with the plastic mounts and the WR is a valuable asset if you use your camera outside, assuming of course that your camera is WR too. If it isn't, I would concur with Andrew and keep the one with the best performance.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

bigyinn

Link Posted 14/10/2015 - 15:50
My camera is a K50, the WR lens came with it. So I think the deciding factor is the WR.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.