16-45mm F4 DA ED AL

Algernon

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 16:46
Mike-P wrote:
chrism_scotland wrote:
Thanks Roy, I've been trying to justify this Sigma to myself, as I was going to buy the used 16-45 at 175 but a new one is 240 so for an extra 35 I think the Sigma would be worth it.

Didn't you just sell a new 16-45mm

He seems to be picking up your habits Mike
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 16:56
At least I keep them for a while (and manage a small profit most of the time).
. My Flickr

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:15
Change in situation as I said before I sold it due to pressure from the other half but after a bit of a windfall this week I've got some cash to invest in a replacement so yeah I would have rather kept the 16-45 when I did but it wasn't an option, but now I can get something as a walkaround.

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:22
You mean you are keeping the windfall from the other half?

Buy her a little present and then she will be ok when you get something for yourself .. I find an ironing board works well but I would imagine a new set of tea towels would be just as welcome.
. My Flickr

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:29
Lol, no she knows about it so shes happy for me to buy another lens, as I used some of the cash from my 16-45 to get her Valentines present!

ISO

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:44
Careful lads -if this were Sky Sports............

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:47
Do me a favour!.... lol

ISO

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 18:53
Thats what they all say.

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 12:16
Has anyone any experience of the Tokina 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 ATX PRO f2.6-2.8?
I've had a quick search of the site which seems to suggest that its possibly soft?
I always heard excellent things about other lenses in a similar focal length (Sigma & Tamron) and I note that the lens has a fairly high average score over on the Minolta Forums (Dyxum) so I would imagine its basically the same lens?

simonkit

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 12:45
chrism_scotland wrote:
I've had a quick search of the site which seems to suggest that its possibly soft?
I always heard excellent things about other lenses in a similar focal length (Sigma & Tamron) and I note that the lens has a fairly high average score over on the Minolta Forums (Dyxum) so I would imagine its basically the same lens?

I see your deliberations continue, I have the same problem when looking for a new lens.

I don't have any experience of the 28-70 but what I'd say is that it doesn't really fulfull the "walkabout" criteria - the 16-45 and even moreso 17-70 focal ranges seem much better for that purpose.

Just for info I owned the Sigma 17-70 (first version) and it's excellent, many of my photos are taken with it. For sharpness it's equal to the Pentax and it actually has slightly less distortion at the wide end - the Pentax has the advantage when it comes to colour/contrast and I find since replacing my sigma with one that the images have a nicer "out-of-camera" look about them. I don't hesitate to recommend the Sigma though

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 13:36
simonkit wrote:
chrism_scotland wrote:

I see your deliberations continue, I have the same problem when looking for a new lens.

I don't have any experience of the 28-70 but what I'd say is that it doesn't really fulfull the "walkabout" criteria - the 16-45 and even moreso 17-70 focal ranges seem much better for that purpose.

Just for info I owned the Sigma 17-70 (first version) and it's excellent, many of my photos are taken with it. For sharpness it's equal to the Pentax and it actually has slightly less distortion at the wide end - the Pentax has the advantage when it comes to colour/contrast and I find since replacing my sigma with one that the images have a nicer "out-of-camera" look about them. I don't hesitate to recommend the Sigma though

Simon

Thanks Simon, I do always have a long ponder before buying lenses and your right 28-70 isn't really walkaround on a APS-C sensor, although I had a Minolta 28-105 on a Sony which was a cracker and seemed wide enough, especially combined with my 10-20!

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 14:21
chrism_scotland wrote:

Good lens bit soft wide open. The original Angenieux on which it was based cost an absolute fortune.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 14:22
Sigma 17-70 Ordered 275 seems a good price brand new from SRS, would like to try one of the the Tokina's but I didnt realise they were 700g+ bit heavy to have on the camera the majority of the time!

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 14:28
I quite fancy trying one of the new 17-70 OS lenses so I will have it off you in a couple of days when you decide to sell (if its cheap enough).
. My Flickr

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 14:37
Lol, I'll let you know what I think!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.