1000mm lens lurking in the cupbaord

Taynuiltpixels

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 12:50
I have just found my old Opticron HR.66 telescope for bird watching lurking in the cupboard - It had a camera fitment for my old 35mm camera years ago (It was not pentax). I had completely forgot that I owned this and the fitment looked like a K mount - it was a K mount!. So I am off to play! .

Has anyone had any experience of shooting through bird scopes with DSLRs?
"All you ever gotta do is be a good man one time to one woman"
(Janis Joplin)

KIT: K5iis, DAWR18-55mm,FA4.5 80-320mm, Mitsuki 5.6 400mm, M1.7 50mm, M1.4 50mm, M2.8 28mm, Miranda M2.8 28mm, M3.5 135mm, M1.4 200mm, Vivitar S13.5 70-210mm, Vivitar A 2.8 90mm macro,
Sigma150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG HSM.

Fletcher8

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 12:52
I look forward to seeing some images when you return from playing.
Fletcher8.

eenymac

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 13:48
Not tried it myself but do also have an HR66, and lurking somewhere is an old photo adapter. Just need to fit a PK T-Mount and I should be good to go so will have to give it a try sometime.
Be interested to see / hear how you got on.

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/08/2013 - 17:59
Stick a 3 x TC on it and see what you can do
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 21/08/2013 - 17:59

Taynuiltpixels

Link Posted 22/08/2013 - 23:50
Oh well that was not as successful as I had hoped. I tried photographing a group of 7 herons about 150m away - focusing was really difficult and purple fringing around the white on their heads was horrendous - when shooting twigs (there was a lack of birds!) up to about 20m away things looked quite sharp and any bird would have filled the frame. So might have another go at that. But my conclusion is that it is not worth using it for more reach.

I was surprised at this result because when used as scope the image is very good for the human eyes.

So I would not advise all going off to ebay to find second hand HR66! - my copy does have quite bad fungus growth on rear of the front lens - I presume that would just cause a fuzziness as opposed to any CA?

If I manage to take any decent < 20m shots of birds I'll post them up.

Are you going to have ago with your's eenymac?
Quote:
Not tried it myself but do also have an HR66, and lurking somewhere is an old photo adapter. Just need to fit a PK T-Mount and I should be good to go so will have to give it a try sometime.
Be interested to see / hear how you got on.

"All you ever gotta do is be a good man one time to one woman"
(Janis Joplin)

KIT: K5iis, DAWR18-55mm,FA4.5 80-320mm, Mitsuki 5.6 400mm, M1.7 50mm, M1.4 50mm, M2.8 28mm, Miranda M2.8 28mm, M3.5 135mm, M1.4 200mm, Vivitar S13.5 70-210mm, Vivitar A 2.8 90mm macro,
Sigma150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG HSM.

Mongoose

Link Posted 23/08/2013 - 08:33
for obvious reasons I've never mounted a lens with fungus on my camera, (probably not as bad with a sealed telescope but I'd still keep it well away from your other lenses if I were you) but I did used to have a 600mm reflex lens with a corroded primary mirror, which I suspect will be comparable in effect.

In the case of my Reflex lens resolution was more or less unaffected, but contrast was shot. Actually my Dad is now using that lens with a reflective sun filter as a solar imager and has got some nice sunspot images on occasion.

As a telescope owner I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but it seems to be more obvious when using a camera so I'll mention it anyway, don't forget that atmospheric conditions will have a larger impact the further away the subject is. The fact that the close by shots were ok might indicate that it was just a bad day for it atmospheric wise.

I think the good old Mk1 Eyeball is pretty good at filtering out those kind of effects so you don't notice them as much with your eye to the scope as when you try to take a photo.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.