Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

10 Stop filter tips

bychan
Posted 16/08/2017 - 20:52 Link
I've owned a circular 10 stop filter for a couple of years, having only used it once with average results.

So I decided to have another go last weekend, only for my Pentax remote die on me :-/

What I've viewed online, and try, was to compose the scene in AV mode, noting the shutter speed. Then attatch the filter, switch to manual exposure and bulb mode then shoot using a cable release for the appropriate shutter length.

Does this sound about right?
The Pentax remote is being replaced with a wired model.

Thanks
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
JAK
Posted 16/08/2017 - 21:03 Link
It does, but the filter might not be exactly 10 stops so test it first to get the exact difference required.
John K
stub
Posted 16/08/2017 - 22:50 Link
Sounds about right to me...look forward to seeing some results...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
RobL
Posted 17/08/2017 - 08:10 Link
Don't forget to switch to manual focus as well, otherwise the camera will be 'blind' and hunt fruitlessly. There are free phone apps to give a quick shutter speed check like Lee Filters, you don't need their products it gives speeds for 6, 10 and 15 stop filters. Better than relying on fingers!
Chrism8
Posted 17/08/2017 - 14:05 Link
As above, the phone apps work well, I've one called " Exposure Calculator " works on android and gives you options for various stops of ND Filter, you put in your current settings and it tells you the ideal settings with the filter value selected.

TBH, I find if your talking about adjusting the time by 10 seconds or less, there's very very little difference in the exposure recorded.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
stub
Posted 17/08/2017 - 15:40 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
TBH, I find if your talking about adjusting the time by 10 seconds or less, there's very very little difference in the exposure recorded.

Couldnt agree more.. I use a free mobile app ND Filter timer. You can input filters of any strength...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
RobL
Posted 17/08/2017 - 16:30 Link
stub wrote:
Chrism8 wrote:
TBH, I find if your talking about adjusting the time by 10 seconds or less, there's very very little difference in the exposure recorded.

Couldnt agree more.. I use a free mobile app ND Filter timer. You can input filters of any strength...

Ten stops is not ten seconds, 1/30 becomes 30 secs, 1/60 becomes 15 secs, and so on.
Edited by RobL: 17/08/2017 - 16:31
Chrism8
Posted 17/08/2017 - 17:05 Link
Hi Rob,

Yes I know, what I was saying is if the exposure is adjusted by 10 seconds there is no real difference to the exposure so if it's 30 seconds or 40 seconds, there's very little visual difference and even less if the initial exposure runs into a minute or more.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
petrochemist
Posted 17/08/2017 - 18:16 Link
Chrism8 wrote:
Hi Rob,

Yes I know, what I was saying is if the exposure is adjusted by 10 seconds there is no real difference to the exposure so if it's 30 seconds or 40 seconds, there's very little visual difference and even less if the initial exposure runs into a minute or more.

That's all very true of really long exposures, as most shots using 10 stoppers are, but not all shots through these filters are long exposures.
Using welding glass that is roughly 18 stops I've photographed the sun & my resultant exposures where small fractions of a second (1/500 springs to mind). Note unlike normal ND filters, welding glass blocks UV & IR as well. Photographing the sun through a normal 10 stop filter will likely result in 'eclipse blindness'... No doubt there will be thousands of cases of this on Monday.
Many less extreme subjects (eg. shallow DOF in bright light) may end up with exposures around 1s, and a 10s difference here will be significant.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
petrochemist
Posted 17/08/2017 - 18:30 Link
bychan wrote:
I've owned a circular 10 stop filter for a couple of years, having only used it once with average results.

So I decided to have another go last weekend, only for my Pentax remote die on me :-/

What I've viewed online, and try, was to compose the scene in AV mode, noting the shutter speed. Then attatch the filter, switch to manual exposure and bulb mode then shoot using a cable release for the appropriate shutter length.

Does this sound about right?
The Pentax remote is being replaced with a wired model.

Thanks
Adrian

I find for normal type 10 stop adjustments it's fairly easy to set the camera up in manual to have suitable settings with out the filter, then fit the filter & simply count stops as you turn the wheels for aperture/ISO/shutter speed adjustments (counting back down if you want to turn one control in the wrong direction) till you get to a total of 10.
This of course falls down if you get beyond 30s, but it's pretty easy to work out from the number remaining.

Rather than using a remote (which I can rarely find when I need it) the cameras 2s self timer is usually adequate.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
RobL
Posted 17/08/2017 - 19:18 Link
Hi, I tried counting stops but the results were too dark, probably because the camera was set with 1/3 stop steps! Taking some with a 6 stop filter and using a tripod, f16 setting and the 2 sec timer the results were not too sharp, so would it better with live view or mirror lock-up? Or maybe it was just too windy. Sad really because I rejected most of some otherwise nice shots.
bychan
Posted 18/08/2017 - 00:35 Link
Thanks all for the tips and advice, greatly appreciated.

In this day and age, I'm one of the small minority who doesn't own a smartphone (my mother does, mind you)

The filter came with a conversion chart for the corresponding shutter speeds, so I can try and use this as a guide.

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/
AlJones2402
Posted 18/08/2017 - 11:18 Link
This any good as a guide, can be printed off and carry around with you.


Comment Image
bychan
Posted 22/08/2017 - 01:36 Link
Thanks all.
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.