Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

£1 bean-bag

aliengrove
Posted 24/03/2010 - 11:25 Link
A quick one for the broke and/or tight photographers on here: having been on a very restrictive budget until very recently, I wanted a bean-bag but did not want to spend much. I bought a square pencil case from the local co-op for a quid, made from some plasticised but soft tartan fabric, filled it with a mix of bulgar wheat and rice from the kitchen cabinet, and super-glued the zip closed. It works very well, and is a permanent addition to my camera bag.
techno-terminator
Posted 24/03/2010 - 11:27 Link
That's a really bright idea

I think I'll have a go at that
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
aliengrove
Posted 24/03/2010 - 12:23 Link
Actually, my wife has just reminded me it was her idea...I am the one who always wants to buy things and she is the more practical one!
techno-terminator
Posted 24/03/2010 - 12:31 Link
hehehehehe - that was you told wasn't it

snappychappy
Posted 25/03/2010 - 09:05 Link
Great idea and tip, thanks.
Jacobite
Posted 26/03/2010 - 15:37 Link
As long as the outside material waterproof/water resistant, you don't want to the contents to get wet!
Don
Posted 26/03/2010 - 15:43 Link
good tip...
comes up every now and again...
link
especially useful for hikers, never know if in an emergency you'll need to eat your beanbag, for survival!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
thoughton
Posted 26/03/2010 - 15:58 Link
Another tip - in a pinch some of your young child's stuffed toys are also full of bean-like material
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Jacobite
Posted 27/03/2010 - 14:31 Link
You give your children toys? mmmmmm, interesting.....now I know why mine are all maladjusted and want me in a home!
techno-terminator
Posted 27/03/2010 - 15:49 Link
What I did use once , and it's still in my bag , was a nice thick facecloth . I knew I would be putting my K-x on a wall whilst I took a shot - and it was a very rough stone one so hit on the idea of a piece of good towelling or similar for protection.

It worked, and it's still in my bag and can be used to dry the K-x off quickly should rain descend on us .

Still to get on and make a wee bean bag

Gwyn
Posted 27/03/2010 - 16:14 Link
That's a good idea too.
I think I am going to have to rethink how I read your name. Not as techno idiot, but as tech, no idiot .
techno-terminator
Posted 27/03/2010 - 16:36 Link
hehe - well that wee solution was before the days of the tripod . The wall I knew was just the height I wanted - but the surface left much to be desired

I'd had a few lectures on stuff to keep permanently in my bag , which included plastic bags for rain protection and the idea of a small towel for removing the odd rain drops was also mentioned - so now have 2 largish placcy bags and said facecloth which is in a truly horrid shade of salmon pink

Idiot still applies though - had a problem after last week's manual shooting - my Shutter speed insisted on being very very s-l-o-o-w and I couldn't get it to change [ other than shoot Auto again , which I did not want to ] so was persuaded by 2 folk to bite the bullet and take my batteries out overnight and then see what happened. I was really scared at the thought of setting everything up again - but shoved the batteries in - and all was well again

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.