Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

? quiet noise of mirror going up?

Ava
Posted 08/03/2008 - 12:26 Link
I was using my K10D to take pictures of my son during a jazz concert. I thought the music was load enough so the "click" sound would not disturb anyone. After the concert, my youngest son told me that the clicking was annoying, and that others sitting close were annoyed. The manual says that there is a way to put the mirror up for cleaning of the sensor, but does not mention if there is a way to leave it up and take pictures, thus avoiding the clicking noise. Anyone have experience with this?
iceblinker
Posted 08/03/2008 - 12:36 Link
I don't believe there is such a mode. It would blackout the viewfinder anyway.

Ask the band to play even louder

Or use a compact camera

I think the K20D can take pictures with the mirror up when using the Live View on the LCD display. (K10D has no Live View facility).

EDIT: I've now found out that the K20's mirror goes down and up after a shot in Live View mode.
~Pete
ikillrocknroll
Posted 08/03/2008 - 13:01 Link
Isnt there a mirror lockup function? For macro shots to prevent tiny camera shake.

But yeah
blacked out viewfinder.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M
spirit_of_will
Posted 08/03/2008 - 13:48 Link
ikillrocknroll wrote:
Isnt there a mirror lockup function? For macro shots to prevent tiny camera shake.

But yeah
blacked out viewfinder.

Yes there is - it's part of the timer function on the K10D - if I recall correctly it's accessed via the drive menu on the Fn button.

Will
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
iceblinker
Posted 08/03/2008 - 14:20 Link
The mirror lock-up timer mode is no use for a too-quiet jazz band as the mirror comes back down after every shot. The idea was to stop the sound of the mirror. There is no mode on the K10D to leave the mirror up, and you wouldn't be able to see anything through the viewfinder even if there was.

Ava, how about getting your son into heavy metal?
~Pete
Don
Posted 08/03/2008 - 15:09 Link
underwater housing or wrapping with sound dampening material...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.