Why An Image With Technical Merit Won't Always Cut It Any More

Getting noticed as a photography has never been easy but with the rise of the internet, social media and digital cameras, things have got a little bit tougher.

17/06/2015 - 10:11

Everyone's A Photographer

Choosing to work as a photographer has never been an easy career path to take and improvements in consumer cameras along with the rise of Smart Phone popularity has not made things any easier as technology seems to have turned everyone into a photographer nowadays. News sites are often asking for images captured at the scene by on-lookers or featuring pictures they've sourced from social media in spots that were once occupied by images captured by a professional photojournalist.

The public have turned what was an already over-saturated market into something that's now bursting at the seams. You only have to look in ePHOTOzine's gallery or on sites such as Instagram to find portfolios created by those who just enjoy photography as a fun hobby that actually, really stand out from the crowd. It's great that more people are enjoying photography, breaking out of moulds and trying new things, but this uniqueness and creativity is starting to leave some photographers out of the limelight.

Listen To The Silence

Listen To The Silence - Michal_Zahornacky

You only have to listen to the opening part of the below video to realise how true this statement is becoming with artist rep Maren Levinson, founder of Redeye Represents, saying:

"You don't need to pay a professional to fill a space... the only reason to hire a professional and to pay the rates that allow them to make a living is if they can offer something you can't get anywhere else."

Rules & Creativity

Times have changed and taking a good photo isn't just about getting it technically correct anymore. Instead, people and to some extent, even advertising and creative agencies are looking for something they've not seen before. They want images which are attention grabbing and really demonstrate what the photographer is passionate about.

"Brands now say 'do what you do for us' which is now a very different conversation to what they would have had 10-15 years ago which is 'we need a picture of a boat'," says Maren in the interview with John Keatley.

Creativity is something that's now looked for more-and-more. Images, and the photographer taking the images, need to have something to say and it needs to be their own voice, rather than something that's been spouted a million times before by others. We're not saying don't look at others for inspiration as, of course, this is a great way to fuel your fire but don't be a copycat.

When it comes to the rules of photography, these are becoming increasingly blurred by the new generation of bloggers and smartphoneographers who aren't so focused on 'what's correct' anymore.

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

I Want to Ride My Bicycle - karolkaczmarczyk

Break The Rules

What they're showing us is maybe we've all become too focused and stuck on following the photography rules we've all studied along the way? You only have to look at these younger photographers who haven't been exposed to the rules so much to see that there could be something in breaking the rules from time-to-time.

"They don't understand settings, shutter speeds or apertures, they don't have a hang of the rule of thirds, they don't care about focus and sharp bits." Said Peter Bargh who admits to being envious of younger photographers who 'haven't yet absorbed the rules'. So what did Pete do? He challenged himself to recreate that young vision of someone with an un-photographically educated eye and the results are edgy, artistic and eye-catching that stand out even as thumbs when you look at his portfolio.

Unrestrained by age - Peter Bargh

What Makes You Different?

Focus on the one thing that really makes you, you. What's your passion and what area of photography do you love? From there, hone your skills and really pay attention to what can make you stand out in an incredibly saturated market.

Yes, a sharp, technically perfect image that's nice to look at deserves merit and praise but if your aim is to grab someone's attention, be it a person admiring your portfolio or someone you're pitching an idea to, having something to offer others can't or don't will get you noticed.

(Via Fstoppers

No related photos found. Check out the Pentax User Gallery.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/06/2015 - 10:43
It's all true, and very nicely expressed as well.
Best regards, John

tyronet2000

Link Posted 17/06/2015 - 13:46
Make a small fortune from photography. Start with a large one
Regards
Stan

PPG

autumnlight

Link Posted 17/06/2015 - 16:59
Interesting and so true, photography is difficult, sometimes i take a better picture on my mobile phone
Kind regards Maria

mi_kef

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 11:32
I thought the only 'rule' of photography was 'do I like it?' In all 'interests' I have come across, their is a tendency amongst enthusiasts to be overly concerned about technicalities. I see this evidenced in competition judging on this website on occasion, where what to me is a good picture might be unduly criticised for a bit of graininess, or an area that is black or washed out, or some minor issue of cropping, for example. Whereas a technically perfect 'snap' with little pictorial impact (or little relevance to the topic) might be applauded. I suppose it all depends on what you think the object of photography is, but we aren't selling to Home and Garden, are we? I think one might argue that if you want to encourage participation and creativity in competitions, then nit picking over composition and criticising entries on minor technical issues should perhaps be discouraged.

My favourite picture on my wall was taken on a £10 holiday film camera; I love looking at it, but for anyone worried about technical quality just don't get too close!

JAK

Link Posted 22/06/2015 - 00:01
Quote:
Getting noticed as a photography

The sub-heading doesn't seem grammatically correct. Shouldn't it be photographer?
John K

YorkNeil

Link Posted 28/06/2015 - 18:20
JAK wrote:
Quote:
Getting noticed as a photography

It's edgy and rule breaking!

dcweather

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 00:26
It does make you think about all the posts on here about sharpness, noise, resolution, focus speed etc. etc and I'm as guilty as anyone.

jayceeclarke85

Link Posted 02/07/2015 - 20:22
†hi
i am sorry i don't know about your question.
if you want to know more imformation

cottlematia

Link Posted 06/07/2015 - 12:05
autumnlight wrote:

That is totally true!

Helen50

Link Posted 08/11/2016 - 22:26
Those photos are absolutely insane. Great and motivating, thanks so much!

DavidMartin

Link Posted 29/09/2017 - 12:29
The infographic doesn't consider that individuals still utilize genuine cameras for taking pictures either. I'm certain there are numerous others like it out there as well, make my assignment we have encircled photos on the dividers which are refreshed routinely with new recollections all of which have been caught with cameras on different excursions abroad. Also, the infographic doesn't generally apply to proficient picture takers.

jipisepex

Link Posted 29/11/2018 - 12:53
myhr cvs portal is useful website for employee of cvs health.

kathleenswaffordd

Link Posted 15/02/2019 - 06:34
These you will then see the most important thing, the application provides you with a website a powerful important internet page mens varsity jacket

jessiedanfr

Link Posted 18/02/2019 - 09:04
great, very interesting topic! i'm still have a lot of questions, i think i'm gonna check youtube

BrielleLuna

Link Posted 21/08/2019 - 18:39
Quite challenging, it really is! Everything should be planned in photography for a great input.
remington pg6025

alecjaxob

Link Posted 10/09/2019 - 12:06
I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
Check this out dawg pound daily
Last Edited by alecjaxob on 10/09/2019 - 12:07

maze13

Link Posted 23/10/2019 - 16:06
Those photos are amazing!! I will definitely share this article with my photographer friends!
septic pumping asheville nc

JohnS

Link Posted 25/10/2019 - 14:03
Photography as art is tuff these days..photography as a business has it's challenges but is easier for sure. You touched on a lot of great points and I can't agree more. My heart goes out to all the genuine photographers out there who actually understand the medium. Still to this day I resist digital..I miss the days developing film and the smell of darkroom chemicals. My artistic skills are now focused on building websites and conversions.

Link Posted 30/11/2019 - 05:36
Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject?
tree pruning jupiter

Link Posted 08/12/2019 - 03:58

Link Posted 10/12/2019 - 12:52

Link Posted 12/12/2019 - 07:41

maze13

Link Posted 13/12/2019 - 18:15

Link Posted 14/12/2019 - 13:13
I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And iím glad reading your article.
tree trimming mango tree

Link Posted 17/12/2019 - 05:47
Hi, This is a nice article you shared great information i have read it thanks for giving such a wonderful blog for the reader. tree trimming services lithia fl

Link Posted 18/12/2019 - 18:19
You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!! Thanks for sharing your views. hope more people will read this article!!! residential tree services durant fl

Link Posted 21/12/2019 - 06:19
Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. tree services near me in brandon fl

Link Posted 23/12/2019 - 13:00
You have a good point here!I totally agree with what you have said!! Thanks for sharing your views. hope more people will read this article!!! tree care companies plant city

Link Posted 25/12/2019 - 16:43
Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. emergency tree services brandon fl

Link Posted 27/12/2019 - 02:44
Thanks for the wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. palm tree services hillsborough county

Link Posted 31/12/2019 - 04:36
A superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place. commercial tree services miami fl

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 09:54
stump grinding west palm beach

Link Posted 05/01/2020 - 11:09
A superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place. stump removal fort lauderdale

Allendnf

Link Posted 03/02/2020 - 02:05
Are those still, freshly taken images or Photoshop? They're amazing. Anyway, thanks for posting and pointing out that there are rules of photography. However, later on a professional saying that breaking the photography rules can result to artistic shoots. Allen commercial fencing.

Danrie

Link Posted 04/02/2020 - 04:20
Photography is a work of art and it is definitely more complex than people imagine. I just hope that photography and photographers deserve more credit than today. Thank you for sharing.

For fence and deck services, please visit flowermoundfenceanddeck.com

Danrie

Link Posted 07/02/2020 - 09:29
I am a Pentax user and it makes my photography great because of my tool. Not everyone can be good photographers but anyone can take pictures. I am just glad that you provide us with excellent cameras to take our memories with us forever.

For stump grinding services, please visit lovelandstumpgrinding.com

Danrie

Link Posted 11/02/2020 - 13:46
There is one thing I know for sure, Pentax is one of my cameras now and all my pictures are great. Not everyone is a photographer but anyone can take good picture is you are a Pentax user.

Visit us for deck repair & replacement

Danrie

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 15:28
This article is right. The technology era has made professional photographers strive harder to succeed in what they love. The author of this article is right. If you are a photographer, just continue striving. Show your passion. You will stand out!

Cheers from residential decks

Danrie

Link Posted 18/02/2020 - 13:58
Always remember that as a photographer, be patient and focus on your passion.

Visit us if you are looking for stump removal near me

Danrie

Link Posted 25/02/2020 - 13:00
Photography is a true work of art and people tend to overlook it due to technology nowadays. I just think we should pay attention to the Photographer more. I am hoping that Photographers get more work and credit they deserve. Cheers from lovelandconcretecontractor.com

Danrie

Link Posted 05/03/2020 - 06:49
I understand the point of this article. Due to the rise of smartphones with an excellent camera, great photos are taken easily. They have filters and other adjustments. These modern technologies just makes it harder for photographers to be taken seriously. My advice is just to continue doing your passion as a photographer. I know that you have something that these technologies don't have. Keep pushing. fence installation & repair

Danrie

Link Posted 10/03/2020 - 06:28
Broomfield commercial landscape service understand your point on this article. The rise of technology affects the role of Professional Photographers. My tip is just to continue doing what you want. You will have your time.

Danrie

Link Posted 19/03/2020 - 14:34
No need to worry! If you stick to what you love and continue doing your work with passion. You will soon be noticed and stand out. Cheers from auroraepoxyflooring.com

DaleWells

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 10:04
Everyone's a photographer these days. Just check every social media platform like Instagram and Facebook to see what I mean. But still, shots from a pro is unique compared to a starter or claiming as a pro. Anyway, thanks for sharing this article and for giving us insights. Also, contact me just in case you need professionals to take care of commercial fencing for your business needs in McAllen or to handle a tree trimming in Wichita Falls for your yard needs.