Photographing Public Gardens

Here are a few tips on how photographers can make the most of public gardens.

19/04/2013 - 00:00

The UK is full of large gardens, parks and historic homes which have vast gardens within their grounds that give photographers the chance to shoot colourful, floral imagery throughout the year.

It doesn't matter if you're a macro fan or prefer to shoot wider, landscape scenes, these locations have something for everyone, plus they are an enjoyable day out for those who aren't so interested in taking photos, too.

Garden
Photo by David Clapp

Where To Go?

If you're looking for somewhere to visit, the National Trust have a section of their website dedicated to Gardens & Parks. The National Gardens Scheme website is also worth a look as it's packed with news on garden open days, plus they have a search feature that allows you to find gardens within specific locations.

The UK's lucky to have a vast number of public gardens which range from smaller kitchen gardens to famous gardens which have vast acres of land. Some places attract photographers because they are home to a particular species of flower or have a rather impressive display of a more common type.

Either way, photographers really are spoilt for choice which means it's quite easy to produce a portfolio of varied flower shots.

When To Visit?

As we mentioned in the intro, there's something worth capturing all year round in different gardens around the UK, you just need to do your research so you know where to head and when.

At the start of the year many sites open their doors for the Snowdrop season with carpets of small white flowers decorating flowerbeds and woodland areas. Crocuses follow in February / March and Daffodils are just starting to show their heads now. Later in the month and into May Bluebells take centre-stage before Tulips and Roses begin to decorate gardens. During Autumn, it's more about berries and conkers but as the trees will be decorated in golden, warm shades, gardens and parks are most definitely worth a visit. When the crisp winter weather returns there are still plenty of gardens open to the public and the touch of frost the cooler nights bring will add an extra level of interest to your winter shots. Don't forget topiary can be captured all year round and there also decorative pieces such as fountains and statues that are worth turning your attention to.

What To Photograph

There are two ways for you to photograph this subject, the first is to focus on the wider garden shot, capturing everything in one frame. The second, is to look at individual flowers and capture close-ups of them.

With wider shots, it's still important to have some foreground interest so your frame doesn't look empty, plus it can help lead the eye through the frame. You'll need to use a small aperture (f /16 or higher) to maximise your depth of field and use a tripod to minimise shake as you could end up using slow shutter speeds. If you don't want to use manual options, switch your camera to its landscape mode as this will let it know that you want plenty of your shot to be in focus.

Public gardens, particularly in summer, can get busy but there will be opportunities to shoot people-free scenes, you just have to be patient and work quickly when your opportunity does emerge. You could also time your visit for when the garden first opens or towards the end of the day as there tends to be less visitors at this time, plus you'll get the opportunity to shoot in the 'golden hours' too when the light tends to be better.

If you're a DSLR user and have one of the Pentax macro lenses in your collection public gardens are a great opportunity to shoot some frame-filling close-up work of flower heads. If you don't own a macro lens but do have a zoom lens you should still be able to get close enough to larger flower heads to produce interesting shots. The Pentax range of compact cameras also features a macro mode, which will get users within a close focusing distance. Again, use a small aperture as depth of field will be limited.

Try and find a specimen that has distinctive features or you just like the look of that doesn't have anything in the background or foreground and shoot a shot that's completely isolated. You can also focus on just the head, cutting out the stem, or try and use a selection of flowers that sit closer to the lens to create an out of focus frame for one or two flowers in the middle of a flowerbed. If you find the back of your shots look a little empty try using a second flower to fill the space. You don't want this flower to pull attention away from your main subject, though, so you'll need to adjust your aperture to add blur to the second flower.

Windy And Sunny Days

The Slightest of breezes can cause problems for flower photographers as it can cause your shots to appear blurry. To help combat this, always use a tripod and use your camera's self-timer if you don't own a remote release to fire the shutter so you're not touching the camera when the exposure begins. Taking something along to shield the plant is a good idea, although you don't want the item to be colourful as this can create a colour cast in your shot. A reflector works well as a shield, plus it can be used to bounce light into areas of shade, too. You could try using a quicker shutter speed but to do this you may need to increase your ISO. This is fine on most DSLRs but noise can begin to creep in at higher ISO levels when working with some compacts. If you do increase the ISO, stick to ISO200 or ISO400.

You may enjoy sunny days but they can cause too many exposure problems for photographers so a slightly overcast, bright day is the best option for shooting in. The clouds act like a giant softbox, diffusing the light and making it more even.

Do you have shots taken in a public garden? If you do, why not share them in your Pentax user portfolio?

EversonAnna

Link Posted 05/06/2018 - 15:45
Wow, that is really nice article, thanks a lot for submitting this information/ I think, it will help many photographers on their work. But, as I see, there are only UK parks, yes? Or am I mistaken? It will be really interesting to know where in the USA or Canada there are such parks or places for photo. That is really important, as for beginners that is pretty hard to find great place for photography and create their portfolio in the right way. I remember that time, when I was making my first photos and it was so hard to get the coolest shot. I was looking in every corner of my native town , asked other photographers, even my freinds from and finally I had my first portfolio) So, I know how hard it is, maybe, any of you can suggest such places. Thanks again for this incredible article.

john111

Link Posted 11/08/2018 - 06:47
In the sense when we talk about of the new and crazy game then I would like like to tell you about the and I also love to pick euchre games it in my leisure time. Here you can also visit of the supporting area which mostly used when user need help.

doqokud

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 08:10
The photos of the classroom have been worthy for the learning of the people. It has been substantiated for the use of the elite assignment help for the pursuit of the goals of the worthy nature for the humans.

emadgad45

Link Posted 10/07/2019 - 00:39
great post.I will be bookmarking currently obtain types perform will come apart.
لعبة من سيربح المليون - لعبة جاتا - لعبة صب واي - لعبة زوما
Last Edited by emadgad45 on 10/07/2019 - 00:39

Richey23

Link Posted 07/10/2019 - 07:34

Lewisjohn

Link Posted 21/10/2019 - 11:52
I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit.
Black Friday Deals

Nomiiameen

Link Posted 25/11/2019 - 19:20
Congratulations English to having an amount of external gardens varying from minor kitchen gardens to famous gardens, which include several acres of land. Try custom assignment help now. Some places attract photographers because they are home to a floral flower or have a spectacular display of the most common type.

Link Posted 06/02/2020 - 14:43
I like to recommend exclusively fine plus efficient information and facts, hence notice it: save the ocean jewelry

Link Posted 21/03/2020 - 09:13
Any time you're exploring the web occasionally I find a web site this really is rather thought invoking such as this one. Happy that I discovered your website because I very much liked this and so I anticipate your future post. An excellent web site and i'll come back once more for more useful contentÖ australia call forwarding

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:02
Hi there, I discovered your blog per Google bit searching for such kinda educational advise moreover your inform beholds very remarkable for me. avenir condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:08
I personally use them exclusively high-quality elements : you will notice these folks during: hyll on Holland condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:12
I am interested in such topics so I will address page where it is cool described. van Holland condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:17
There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. the landmark condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:26
Can nicely write on similar topics! Welcome to here you'll find out how it should look. the m showflat

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:32
Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I donít know what to say except that I have. peak residence condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 06:38
For this web site, you will see our account, remember to go through this info. forett at bukit timah condo

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 15:03
These things are very important, good think so - I think so too... 업소알바

Link Posted 24/03/2020 - 15:09
Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I donít know what to say except that I have. 업소알바

Link Posted 30/06/2020 - 12:53
This content is simply exciting and creative. I have been deciding on a institutional move and this has helped me with one aspect. 음경확대

Link Posted 01/07/2020 - 10:19
At this point you'll find out what is important, it all gives a url to the appealing page: 롤대리

Link Posted 01/07/2020 - 10:31
Very interesting information, worth recommending. However, I recommend this: 강남출장안마

Link Posted 01/07/2020 - 10:38
Mmm.. estimable to be here in your report or notify, whatever, I repute I should moreover process strong for my have website want I play some salubrious further updated busy in your location. 강남안마

Link Posted 01/07/2020 - 10:46
This is important, though it's necessary to help you head over to it weblink: 부산출장안마

Link Posted 01/07/2020 - 10:53
There you can download for free, see the first of these data. 수원안마

Link Posted 03/07/2020 - 07:52
I encourage you to read this text it is fun described ... wm168
Last Edited by RobertSchneider on 03/07/2020 - 07:53

Link Posted 03/07/2020 - 18:56
It is especially decent, though look into the tips during this home address. 노블레스결혼

Link Posted 10/07/2020 - 12:50
So lot to occur over your amazing blog. Your blog procures me a fantastic transaction of enjoyable.. Salubrious lot beside the scene. asia999

Link Posted 10/07/2020 - 12:55
On this subject internet page, you'll see my best information, be sure to look over this level of detail. เกมไฮโล เครดิตฟรี

Link Posted 10/07/2020 - 12:58
Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page. asia999

Link Posted 10/07/2020 - 13:02
Make the most of mainly premium substances - you will find him or her for: wm casino เครดิตฟรี

Link Posted 10/07/2020 - 13:06
I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. แคนดี้ เครดิตฟรี

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 08:19
These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot. smm panel

Link Posted 17/07/2020 - 12:33
This is very useful, although it will be important to help simply click that web page link: kingmaker thai hilo

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 19:32
It is rather very good, nevertheless glance at the data with this handle. สล็อต Ka

Link Posted 24/07/2020 - 06:47
Very good topic, similar texts are I do not know if they are as good as your work out. swiatfit.pl†- plany dietetyczno-treningowe

Link Posted 24/07/2020 - 06:55
I might suggest solely beneficial in addition to trusted facts, and so find it: คาสิโนแจกเครดิตฟรี

Link Posted 27/07/2020 - 08:42
At this point you'll find out what is important, it all gives a url to the appealing page: instaid - kampanie instagram

Link Posted 27/07/2020 - 17:39
There you can download for free, see the first of these data. เว็บคาสิโนแจกเครดิตฟรี

Faheem

Link Posted 04/08/2020 - 13:26
Interesting and interesting information can be found on this topic here profile worth to see it. best Istanbul tours
Last Edited by Faheem on 04/08/2020 - 13:26

Faheem

Link Posted 08/08/2020 - 20:15
This is helpful, nonetheless it can be crucial so that you can check out the following website: เล่นufabetบนมือถือ

Faheem

Link Posted 08/08/2020 - 20:53
This is helpful, nonetheless it can be crucial so that you can check out the following website: เทคนิคแทงบอลเต็ง

Faheem

Link Posted 16/08/2020 - 20:57
For true fans of this thread I will address is a free online! 먹튀검증업체

Faheem

Link Posted 24/01/2021 - 09:52
1st, deciding the strain you need is perhaps the most predominant types of Magic Mushrooms is Psilocybe Cubensis and you can locate a wide scope of various strains becoming both in the wild and inside everywhere on the world. Right now, there are more than 60 diverse Psilocybe Cubensis strains that we are aware of. Subsequently, not all Psilocybe Cubensis strains are practically a mirror image of one another. The strength and stumbling levels are distinctive in every one of these strains. On the off chance that you are searching for cheerful sentiments and bunches of chuckles, you may pick in for Magic Mushrooms, while B+ Magic Mushrooms will give you one of the hottest visual and otherworldly excursions. In the same way as other others, you might be looking for the mending advantages of psilocybin mushrooms or truffles. Before you begin investigating this segment, if it's not too much trouble note that psilocybin is an unlawful and exceptionally controlled substance in many pieces of this world. We just energize protected, capable, utilization of psilocybin mushrooms. Buying magic mushroom in the United States

Faheem

Link Posted 21/03/2021 - 11:19
I also wrote an article on a similar subject will find it at write what you think. Buy dilaudid overnight

DaleWells

Link Posted 05/06/2021 - 14:32
These tips are perfect. I can surely suggest this to a friend of mine who also does photography on the side. Anyway, please check out this AC vent cleaning Peoria residents most recommended service. Please reach out if you need your Vents clean in no time.

johnelse

Link Posted 15/11/2021 - 12:43
The same thing i thought how simple garden photography make pictures good, add some furniture and tables around the garden which looks more good during photography. Charles Bentley Discount Codes give us a reputable furniture's which we are looking for Photography

land11

Link Posted 26/03/2022 - 07:39
Great land location to capture photos.
Land Owner