Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wanted - Uni-Loc tripod - Major System 1600 or Major System 2300

WaypointCharlie
Posted 24/04/2015 - 16:23 Link
I'm on the lookout for a Uni-Loc Major System 1600 or the monster Major System 2300. I'm in no particular hurry so am willing to wait until the right one comes up on eBay. However, I thought I'd ask here, just in case someone local has one sitting in their loft.

I might consider the Benbo 1 / Benbo 2 but the Uni-Loc System has a few advantages over the Benbo. I won't consider the Benbo Trekker - I had a look at a friend's Trekker and at full height, even with the column down, the vibration was a lot worse than on my Velbon Ultra REXi L travel tripod.
Edited by WaypointCharlie: 24/04/2015 - 16:28
vic cross
Posted 25/04/2015 - 11:00 Link
If you can find one the Uni-Loc Major 2300 is a beast of a tripod. I used to have one for my 645 when I used to do wedding photography. As for stability it can't be beaten. Solid as a rock even at full height. I used to carry a step ladder for some churches and with the 2300 at full height it was still OK. It is however quite heavy to carry around. I had mine in the car 'til I got to the venue. At this moment in time I have the 1700 system which has a bendy joint in the centre column. You might want to consider this model as it has a slight advantage over the 1600. There is also their standard ball heads in 2 different sizes which are very good as well. I love mine and wouldn't change it for the world.
CHEERS Vic.
PS. Good luck in finding one. (Hens teeth comes to mind)
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Edited by vic cross: 25/04/2015 - 11:01
WaypointCharlie
Posted 25/04/2015 - 11:48 Link
Hi Vic, thanks for your response.

I find the Uni-Loc range (past and present) a bit confusing. Do you have the Standard System 1700 or the Major System 1700 (I think the outer tube diameter is 30mm on the Standard and 35mm on the Major)? I guess you probably have the Standard System 1700. If so, do you find it stable enough? The Benbo Trekker I tried seemed prone to vibration at some setups, but then the outer tube diameter was only 27.5mm.

I think a Standard System 1700 would be fine for low level work and is something you could tolerate carrying with you for hours. Pity it only goes up to about 1.15m with the column down. Perhaps the solution is getting a Standard System 1700 AND a Major 2300!

These Uni-Loc tripods do come up on eBay (some at the moment). I missed a couple of 2300's recently, thinking they'd be too big, but I realise now that the 1700 would sometimes be too small.

I love the way the tripods work and am surprised how quick and easy I find them, given my normally poor spatial awareness. Mind you, I've only just discovered the way the legs go through 360 degrees, so you don't have to move the head to the other end of the column when you switch between working high and low!
vic cross
Posted 25/04/2015 - 12:02 Link
I've had mine many many years and yes it's the standard model 30mm lower legs. I think all the modern tripods with moveable centre columns have taken and used the Benbo and Uni-Loc idea for the flexibility of the centre column. I also had the big heavy monopod with the big footpad on the bottom. As monopods go that was a beast as well. I P/X'd my 2300 and monopod with my 645 and Z1p at SRS when I got my K10. Now also long gone.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
WaypointCharlie
Posted 25/04/2015 - 12:55 Link
Thanks again Vic. Do you find the Standard 1700 stable enough? Do you ever feel you'd prefer a Major 1700? Do you many use it for low level photography?

Sorry, so many questions, just when the Standard System1600/1700 come up on eBay I wonder if I should be holding out for a Major System version.
vic cross
Posted 25/04/2015 - 13:11 Link
I've always found it stable enough for my needs and have only used it once for low level. I have however had it in the water once or twice with some fast moving water with no problem. As to the Major I wouldn't know as I have never used one. I would say though that whatever you get make sure it has the centre column with the joint in it as this is very useful.
CHEERS Vic.
WaypointCharlie
Posted 25/04/2015 - 13:51 Link
Many thanks Vic. Very helpful.
johnha
Posted 26/04/2015 - 22:41 Link
I have the Standard 1700 System (but wished I'd bought the Major 2300 when I moved into medium format), that said I'd be happy to put the P67 on top of it. I did compare the two at the time - the 2300 was a serious piece of metal.

If you haven't used a Uni-Loc/Benbo before - be very careful when setting it up. Don't let go of the camera until you've tightened the bolt properly and made sure the setup is balanced before letting go (you can set them up in unstable configurations without really thinking about it) - it can feel like wrestling with an octopus in a soap factory sometimes!

John.
vic cross
Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:57 Link
johnha wrote:
I have the Standard 1700 System (but wished I'd bought the Major 2300 when I moved into medium format), that said I'd be happy to put the P67 on top of it. I did compare the two at the time - the 2300 was a serious piece of metal.

If you haven't used a Uni-Loc/Benbo before - be very careful when setting it up. Don't let go of the camera until you've tightened the bolt properly and made sure the setup is balanced before letting go (you can set them up in unstable configurations without really thinking about it) - it can feel like wrestling with an octopus in a soap factory sometimes!

John.

That's another thing Charlie. Until you get used to it add in a couple on gallons of motor oil and John is right. (Demented Octopus comes to mind) Don't give up on it though because once you are used to it they are just great.
CHEERS Vic.
WaypointCharlie
Posted 27/04/2015 - 10:10 Link
Actually, I've been trying out my friend's Benbo Trekker (early model, without the bendy joint in the centre column) and find it really easy and intuitive to setup. However, I guess it wouldn't be so easy wrestling with a Major 2300.

I can see why the bendy joint (with the extra head mount screw at 90 degrees) on the System tripods would be very helpful.
alfpics
Posted 27/04/2015 - 10:11 Link
johnha wrote:
- it can feel like wrestling with an octopus in a soap factory sometimes!

John.

So true!! I have a Uni-loc (from about 1997), but am not sure which system it is. They do require attention and practice.
Mine doesn't go very high; ie I am a tad under 6 foot and sometimes have wished the tripod could go about 3 inches higher
Andy
WaypointCharlie
Posted 18/10/2015 - 22:59 Link
After months of patience I finally managed to buy a Uni-loc at a good price. It's the Major System 1600 and it's fantastic what it can do. The only real downside (which I knew) is it doesn't go that high without extending the centre column (which gets a bit twangy). So I'm still on the lookout for a Major 2300, although I'll keep the 1600 for when I'm working lower and want to travel 'light'.
sasoph
Posted 01/12/2015 - 14:59 Link
FAO: WaypointCharlie

Hello,

I have a Major System 2300 for sale. I'm new to this site so cannot send PMs. If you contact me, I'll send you links to photos.

Regards,
Sash
WaypointCharlie
Posted 20/12/2015 - 15:15 Link
I've now got a Major 2300. What a beast! I can't see me carrying it on an all day hike but great for getting mucky at the coast. It came with straps and a padded carry bag, although in practice a bag might be more bother than it's worth.

Perhaps I should have held out for the more versatile Major System 2300. I find the fixed-length column on the standard Major 2300 a bit long but it literally takes a minute to swop in the column from the Major System 1600. It's effectively a Major System 1600 with longer legs, which is a great setup.

I know these sort of tripods aren't for everyone but, once you get the hang of them, I think they're brilliant to use and a fantastic bargain when you can pick them up off eBay for as little as £20.
alfpics
Posted 20/12/2015 - 15:50 Link
WaypointCharlie wrote:

I know these sort of tripods aren't for everyone but, once you get the hang of them, I think they're brilliant to use and a fantastic bargain when you can pick them up off eBay for as little as £20.

And P&P a lot more than that at a guess?!
Andy

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.