Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Video with the K5 and Mics

RockingDad
Posted 26/04/2015 - 21:18 Link
Evening all,

Does anyone on here venture in to the murky world of DSLR video with their K5? If so does anyone have any good recommendations for a low priced effective shotgun mic? I keep hearing things about an SG-108 and SGC-598, anyone have any experience of them?

This won't be for anything super serious, maybe the odd Youtube video.

Thanks
Pentax K3 & K5 currently
Used a Pentax all my life!
McGregNi
Posted 26/04/2015 - 21:38 Link
Try a search on Amazon. Rode are a well known quality brand, but I've got a much cheaper model from the Polaroid brand (about 40 pounds I think), which is effective and great value. It has a removable wind muffler and a coverage angle selector .... 90 or 180 degrees. Sound quality in stereo is amazing when heard through headphones or a good sound system.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 26/04/2015 - 21:39
RockingDad
Posted 26/04/2015 - 22:10 Link
Hi, thanks for the info. I've heard of Rode but at this stage don't really want to commit the money until I'm certain it is not just a whim

Do you have any issues with hissing on your K7 with the mic? I've heard the mics can suffer a lot of hiss without a decent preamp (Although that does tend to come from Canon users LOLOLOL)

Cheers

RockingDad
Pentax K3 & K5 currently
McGregNi
Posted 26/04/2015 - 22:59 Link
No, nothing like that, no hissing. There is a real sense of presence in quiet locations, and listening with headphones can cause me to jump in surprise at a sudden sound, which can come from an unexpected direction if not in view. There is the occasional "codec click', a term I've learned from our member Steve Ledger, but that's the only thing I've heard out of the ordinary on the K7.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
richandfleur
Posted 27/04/2015 - 02:15 Link
Would just add that when using an external mic, there is no reason that it has to be mounted on top of the DSLR. You may get better results positioning the mic further away from the camera, if the lead is long enough. If tripod mounted though there is not likely to be much camera noise, but if handheld then you'd want to avoid camera switch sounds, focussing sounds and operator breathing etc, and off camera can help with this.

I can't comment on the cheap ones, but there are lots available at different price brackets.

If audio is really important, then I think it's worth having another soundtrack, even as a backup. This would be off camera, so even using a mic into a cell phone etc. The two audio tracks can then be aligned in your video editing software, and you just turn off the soundtrack that is worst, using the best as your final audio track.
SteveLedger
Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:51 Link
Yes a RØDE VideoMic is excellent if you can spring for one. I also bought a Zoom H2n which is fantastic, features 5 microphone capsules allowing for multiple recording patterns. Too good for me that I hardly use it.. LOL! But I hate to part with it as it's so good.
richandfleur
Posted 27/04/2015 - 09:09 Link
SteveLedger wrote:
Yes a RØDE VideoMic is excellent if you can spring for one. I also bought a Zoom H2n which is fantastic

Or do both ...
http://dpexperience.com/2010/03/18/recording-audio-with-your-video-dslr-part-ii/
RockingDad
Posted 27/04/2015 - 22:00 Link
Thanks for your feedback everyone, much appreciated
Pentax K3 & K5 currently
SteveLedger
Posted 27/04/2015 - 22:25 Link
If you can't afford a zoom or teac external recorder, this arrangement works well too.

Comment Image
richandfleur
Posted 28/04/2015 - 01:21 Link
Rode do their own iPhone app too I seem to recall.

Their SmartLav is woth considering too in my opinion, and use the camera inbuilt audio track to sync/align with the nicer audio, and then delete/mute the in camera track.
richandfleur
Posted 28/04/2015 - 02:54 Link
It really is worth heading over to youtube to listen to some of the mic types first though. There are some good examples over there, and you might even find a review of any specific models you may be interested in purchasing.
SteveLedger
Posted 28/04/2015 - 04:22 Link
Definitely, this is what sold me on the Zoom H2n...
richandfleur
Posted 30/04/2015 - 21:44 Link
Hi,

A bit of an aside, but I'm pretty seriously considering this product.

There are cheaper options, such as the Audio Technica ATR3350 but I'm liking all the reviews on this one, and they have free international shipping to New Zealand

I've done some instructional type videos previously, and audio has always been the missing part of the equation on these.

My K-30 doesn't have a mic in socket, which is something I'll definitely be looking for moving forward.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.