Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Thomas Telford Ironwork

davidwozhere
Posted 31/03/2015 - 23:45 Link
Pentax K5 with 55 and 28mm Takumars

A recent posting of Abraham Darby's iron bridge reminded me of an almost forgotten example of Telford's road building. He was the father of civil engineering and went so far as to design every aspect of his new roads, from the carriageway to the fences that lined it and the toll houses that collected their revenue.

The coaching road from London to Birmingham passed through a deep valley to the west of Coventry, near to the village of Alspath. Horses were changed here and refreshments were taken but the valley bottom was waterlogged and the sides filled with springs making for a very muddy and difficult route. The stopping place was known as the Old Mirey Den which, in later times became known as Meriden after Telford engineered major improvements to the road. The modern A45 bypasses Meriden today and the marvels of yesterday are all but forgotten

Comment Image

The road today as it descends into Meriden

Comment Image

Telford's original fencing (a standard design) runs alongside but is in a shocking state of repair.
Comment Image

Comment Image

Over 200 years of weathering has pitted the cast iron and produced a wonderful patina on this finial
Comment Image

The same pattern of post is used for gate supports (even if the gate is totally overgrown)
Comment Image

Comment Image

Repairs are almost non existent
Comment Image

And all is just left to the ivy and the elements
Comment Image

The only bit that has been maintained is the kissing gate on the footpath leading from the parish church of St. Lawrence, on top of the hill, in Alspath, to the Queen's Head public house!

Comment Image

Comment Image

Despite what the pictures might show, it was lashing down with rain half the time (that's the blurred bit to the right of the last image) so I was pleased with what I actually got. One bonus was finding a patch of rare white violets

Comment Image
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 31/03/2015 - 23:52
Zoomart
Posted 01/04/2015 - 10:09 Link
What interesting photos, making a useful documentary. Send it to the County Council!
walkeja
Posted 01/04/2015 - 11:04 Link
When I worked, used to travel the A45 every day, never knew this was here, even on the rare occasions I went via Meriden due to a hold up on tha A45.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
RobL
Posted 01/04/2015 - 18:22 Link
I used to live nearby years ago, always wondered why the road was so much higher than the pub. I remember as a callow youth getting so plastered at a stag do in the Queen's Head that I had to crawl up the drive to my parents' house on hands and knees and spent five minutes trying to put the key in the door. I thought I was being quiet and discreet but apparently woke the whole house with my stumbling around! I must have had all of two pints.
Stuey
Posted 01/04/2015 - 20:47 Link
Nice work - I did not know of this

However, I do live a few minutes away from Telford's slightly better known aquaduct
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
SteveF
Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:17 Link
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
bwlchmawr
Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:20 Link
Most interesting. I do like industrial archaeology.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
davidstorm
Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:46 Link
An enjoyable documentary of something that many locals probably don't know much about, it makes interesting reading and viewing.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
derek897
Posted 01/04/2015 - 22:37 Link
davidstorm wrote:
An enjoyable documentary of something that many locals probably don't know much about, it makes interesting reading and viewing.

Regards
David

Interesting even for non locals too.
Nicely thought out bit of work.
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.
Stuey
Posted 01/04/2015 - 22:58 Link
I forgot to mention that much of Telford's ironwork was manufactured at the Kynaston Foundry in Cefn Mawr, not sure what deals went on but ironwork seemed to make it's way far from the foundry probably passing many other foundry's upon it's way

There is some information on the web about this but BBC's Coast also covered this when mentioning the Caledonian Canal - can't work out why part of the iron work would be transported so far in that day an age - the mind boggles
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.