Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

GIMBALS.

vic cross
Posted 02/11/2014 - 07:36 Link
First a question. Has anyone out there got a gimbal?

Next question. If you have would you be willing to take and send me a few photos of it from many different angles with some sizes. Ht. L. w. bearing size etc. etc.

My pension doesn't run to some of the crazy prices they are asking for some of them so I thought as a winter project I might have a go at making (fabricating) one.

CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
gtis
Posted 02/11/2014 - 09:34 Link
Hi vic
I got one from Amazon £70 inc p-p
I did make one but it was a knock up affair
The second one I made I use two bearing but I could not get them to
Line up with the shaft
Tomkeets made a good one PM him I am sure he will send photos
If he has still got it
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
percy
Posted 02/11/2014 - 10:37 Link
Maybe one of these - not cheap but not crazy money.
http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm
Blythman
Posted 02/11/2014 - 11:22 Link
percy wrote:

That's what I use
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McBrian
Posted 02/11/2014 - 12:17 Link
£50 gets you a BEIKE BK-45(ebay).

I have a couple of Beike ball heads that I bought on Amazon and I'm very pleased with the quality, can't really fault them at all.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Posted 02/11/2014 - 14:20 Link
I too have a Beike gimbal. I've not used it much as yet, but it does seem to work well, especially if you set the camera using the on-line Wimberley instructions. It did feel a little gritty and stiff out of the box, but this disappeared when I mounted the camera on it. All in all a good buy for me.
McBrian
Posted 02/11/2014 - 14:31 Link
Nice Youtube video of Beike Gimbal Head here, I think I may be adding one to my kit soon.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
vic cross
Posted 02/11/2014 - 15:09 Link
Thanks all. I'll take all answers into consideration. I'll have a look at the suggested ones. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
willyolly
Posted 02/11/2014 - 22:41 Link
Have a look at the Calumet gimbol. They appear on fleabay quite regularly at reasonable prices. Built like a tank and sturdy enough for use with a big lens such as sigma 50-500.
tyronet2000
Posted 03/11/2014 - 10:56 Link
percy wrote:

They look just the job. As soon as I work out why I need one I'll be placing an order
Regards
Stan

PPG
Nutter
Posted 11/11/2014 - 11:03 Link
Can't say that I have much experience with gimbals, but mainly driven by cost vs projected use, I purchased one of the Beike BK-45s and although with limited use so far I must say that I am quite happy with it. It feels solid enough with my Sigma 150-500mm mounted.
Born again photographer! Pentax K-30 & kit lenses. Just what do all these buttons do......?
vic cross
Posted 11/11/2014 - 12:46 Link
Thanks again everyone. I'm going to have another think about it.
CHEERS Vic.
dcweather
Posted 16/11/2014 - 18:49 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
percy wrote:

They look just the job. As soon as I work out why I need one I'll be placing an order

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got the Lensmaster one and it is fantastic. Once you've used one you'll love it. The benefit is it instantly moves from any position to any other without having to touch any control knobs or levers. It just stays put where you put it. It is really for shots where you are constantly re-positioning the camera rapidly, like wildlife shots in particular but I see no reason why it wouldn't be good for other types of shot. Downside against other heads are it is heavy and bulky and my version requires a rotating lens clamp to side mount it , but not all do.
Dave
Edited by dcweather: 16/11/2014 - 18:51
vic cross
Posted 17/11/2014 - 11:23 Link
Cheers Dave. I've looked at those and they look OK. I'm still thinking about it so it's on hold for a while.
CHEERS Vic.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.