Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cheap ring flash for macro

RobL
Posted 20/06/2015 - 18:37 Link
I have just been experimenting with a new 100mm macro lens and found (fairly obviously you might think) that sharpness and depth of field benefit hugely from a wireless flash. This set-up is ok for a studio type set-up but a bit cumbersome for outside. Whilst the Pentax ring flash would be ideal I don't know yet whether I would use it enough to justify; however there are on Amazon some really cheap budget options which could be worth experimenting with - names like Neewer and Polaroid plus some other Chinese imports. Some of these are just an led so not a flash but does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations?
cbrog
Posted 20/06/2015 - 19:12 Link
Look out for a Vivitar Macroflash 5000 - works very well on my K10,20 & 5. and fits DFA 100 and 50 & 105 Sigmas.
At its most effective up to about a metre or a yard.

Don't pay too much or one - I paid £11 for one and £25 for a second.

Roger
LennyBloke
Posted 20/06/2015 - 19:32 Link
..or a second hand Pentax AF080C ringflash, you'll probably be looking at £50 - £75 ish - but the world of opportunity it opens up is inceredible. I bought one a couple of months ago and it's re-invigorated my interest in close up photography (moist of it's not true macro)....
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Most of the exposures are trial and error, but for me the most successful shots are when there is a good balance between natural light and flash light
LennyBloke
Daronl
Posted 20/06/2015 - 19:32 Link
See PM

RobL wrote:
I have just been experimenting with a new 100mm macro lens and found (fairly obviously you might think) that sharpness and depth of field benefit hugely from a wireless flash. This set-up is ok for a studio type set-up but a bit cumbersome for outside. Whilst the Pentax ring flash would be ideal I don't know yet whether I would use it enough to justify; however there are on Amazon some really cheap budget options which could be worth experimenting with - names like Neewer and Polaroid plus some other Chinese imports. Some of these are just an led so not a flash but does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations?

Daronl
davidstorm
Posted 20/06/2015 - 21:22 Link
I've made all manner of contraptions that can be used with a standard flashgun. The best I've found so far is a light box made of cardboard that fits over the flash head; the front is covered with some of that thin packing foam that has neutral colouring. This set up spreads the light beautifully with no 'hot spots' and also none f the 'ring effect' in insects eyes that you get with ring flash. It allows me use F16 at ISO 100 or 200; ideal for macro work.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Dingo
Posted 24/06/2015 - 02:54 Link
LennyBloke wrote:

Comment Image

That's a fantastic shot!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.