Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Bugger!

andy_bell
Posted 09/06/2015 - 10:35 Link
Opened the rear passenger car door on Friday to get my rucksack out and forgot my K3 & 70-200 was on the back seat, well 'was' being the operative word........
A 3 foot drop later and broken glass on the floor...the lens landed face down and shattered the UV filter and bent the housing.....after checking.. no focus (manual or Auto) either, Mode knob on the K3 bashed also.....
70-200 off to Sigma to see if they can work their magic...
K3 off to JPS to have a new function knob and have the mount tested for alignment....
As i said...Bugger!!!
A few bits & Bobs
Jumbo48
Posted 09/06/2015 - 10:44 Link
That's the reason I always put the seat belt round any camera equipment I carry in the car, plus it stops it being stolen if your in a traffic jam.
Regards John/Jumbo
MattMatic
Posted 09/06/2015 - 11:45 Link
Ooooooouch!
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Mike-P
Posted 09/06/2015 - 12:41 Link
andy_bell
Posted 09/06/2015 - 12:50 Link
I'm rather hoping that the houshold insurance will cover it....looks like it will be the best part of £400 minimum for the repairs without any parts........
A few bits & Bobs
fritzthedog
Posted 09/06/2015 - 13:00 Link
Ouch - I feel for you. I have not put a camera on the car seat since my K5 shot off it doing an emergency stop and shattered the Lee Filter attached to the lens - lesson learned but much cheaper than yours I suspect!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
alfpics
Posted 09/06/2015 - 13:49 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Ooooooouch!

Yes!
Andy
swarf
Posted 09/06/2015 - 14:03 Link
Bad news - I hope it's not too pricey. I always keep mine in the boot, although with a short prime or small zoom it will just fit into the centre console.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
andy_bell
Posted 09/06/2015 - 14:14 Link
Mine are usually in a Tamrac bag, but on this one occasion it wasn't.... i'd moved it from the passenger seat (where i can see it) to the rear seat so my colleague could get in for a lift to work....
I dont have a boot as i have a big pick-up, so its that much higher than a car too.....
A few bits & Bobs
vic cross
Posted 09/06/2015 - 14:30 Link
I normally keep mine in the bag on the floor. Front Back or Boot it's safe. However if I have it loose in the front seat I put the strap over the headrest then it can't fly off if I have to brake hard. I know what you're all going to say. "SMART ARSE" But it works for me.
I bet you'll have a pain in the wallet Andy.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
stu62
Posted 09/06/2015 - 18:03 Link
im lucky i have a center consal that will take the camera plus a big len with plenty of padding
Gwyn
Posted 09/06/2015 - 19:22 Link
I feel for you.

His Nibs killed my Ds by having it loose on the back seat, and having to brake hard when a tractor pulled out without looking. Camera flew off the seat and landed with a thud on the floor. It wasn't worth getting the camera repaired.
andy_bell
Posted 10/06/2015 - 08:32 Link
Camera & Lens off for repair....only £40 to send both to approved centres....
It will all go on the final bill which i hope will be covered by my insurance...
A few bits & Bobs
Stuey
Posted 10/06/2015 - 13:43 Link
Hi Andy, Sad news on the damage

I may be able to help you with your insurance claim - if you want to drop me a pm once you know the extent of the damage

Before that check if you have a personal possessions extension as this often provides cover away from home and if so check the wording etc.

It may be best that we speak prior to submission of your claim.

Regards

Stu

Don't panic if I don't reply for a day or so its just that I have a not on at the moment but nothing to stop me sssiting if needed
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
McBrian
Posted 10/06/2015 - 14:40 Link
Uncanny how many times unexpected things happen that one time you change your routine

I once saw a video of the damage a loose item in the passenger cabin can do to a human being during and emergency stop or crash, I now never ever leave a heavy item loose on the seat or floor.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.